Our opinion: Get out and vote already!

In recent election years, candidates have unsuccessfully put a tremendous amount of effort into getting the youth to vote. Whether because of apathy or ignorance, each election rolls around and both parties are disappointed with the number of eligible voters, age 18-34, that do not vote. Now more than ever, this demographic is being targeted not only to vote, but to genuinely understand the issues.

This is a big election with big issues.  This must be understood. As college students, we should feel obligated to become informed. Only we, as individuals, are responsible for that. Unlike the last several elections, this is not a situation where we must pick the lesser of two evils.

In the coming years we will deal with two ongoing wars, the largest economic crisis of our time and a host of other issues. Our choice can change the direction of our country, and of our world.

The university has made it maddeningly easy to vote, as have Get Out the Vote programs. Take advantage of this.

Living in Florida for this election is of utmost importance as well. As a swing state, the fourth most important in the country, the Sunshine State will be a heavy factor in deciding the path of our nation.

If you live in the northeast or the west coast, your state is probably blue. If you’re from the south, you’re probably red all over. Florida is a toss-up, so voting here rather than absentee in New York, for example, could have more impact on the outcome. If you’re planning on voting absentee, reconsider your registration, knowing that your single vote can be more powerful here. 

When Nov. 4 rolls around, don’t just say whatever. We very well may be the deciding factor in the upcoming presidential election.

Editorial Board

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...