Our opinion: Get out and vote already!

In recent election years, candidates have unsuccessfully put a tremendous amount of effort into getting the youth to vote. Whether because of apathy or ignorance, each election rolls around and both parties are disappointed with the number of eligible voters, age 18-34, that do not vote. Now more than ever, this demographic is being targeted not only to vote, but to genuinely understand the issues.

This is a big election with big issues.  This must be understood. As college students, we should feel obligated to become informed. Only we, as individuals, are responsible for that. Unlike the last several elections, this is not a situation where we must pick the lesser of two evils.

In the coming years we will deal with two ongoing wars, the largest economic crisis of our time and a host of other issues. Our choice can change the direction of our country, and of our world.

The university has made it maddeningly easy to vote, as have Get Out the Vote programs. Take advantage of this.

Living in Florida for this election is of utmost importance as well. As a swing state, the fourth most important in the country, the Sunshine State will be a heavy factor in deciding the path of our nation.

If you live in the northeast or the west coast, your state is probably blue. If you’re from the south, you’re probably red all over. Florida is a toss-up, so voting here rather than absentee in New York, for example, could have more impact on the outcome. If you’re planning on voting absentee, reconsider your registration, knowing that your single vote can be more powerful here. 

When Nov. 4 rolls around, don’t just say whatever. We very well may be the deciding factor in the upcoming presidential election.

Editorial Board

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...