Letters to the Editor

Women’s rights and abortion are not synonyms

Wonderful.  Yet another article using “women’s rights” and “abortion” as near synonyms.

Before you accuse me of bias, I am not a Republican. I have doubts about Sarah Palin’s qualifications for the White House, especially when it comes to foreign policy. I may be voting third party.

That being said, Morten Hoi Jensen’s article promotes a counter-productive philosophy. The attitude he espouses has alienated pro-life feminists whose convictions are based not on “religious fanaticism,” but on scientific evidence that a fetus is not a mere extension of the mother’s body. It has misunderstood the needs of women impregnated by rape, 75-85% of whom give birth. Studies suggest that they do so in part because they see abortion as another act of violence against their bodies (http://afterabortion.org/rape.html). Worst of all, abortion has eclipsed issues that all women could rally behind, such as equal pay and the prevention of sexual assault.

The feminist movement is in serious need of reform. Mr. Jensen’s editorial didn’t help.

Kelsey Hazzard (’10)

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...