Letters to the Editor

Women’s rights and abortion are not synonyms

Wonderful.  Yet another article using “women’s rights” and “abortion” as near synonyms.

Before you accuse me of bias, I am not a Republican. I have doubts about Sarah Palin’s qualifications for the White House, especially when it comes to foreign policy. I may be voting third party.

That being said, Morten Hoi Jensen’s article promotes a counter-productive philosophy. The attitude he espouses has alienated pro-life feminists whose convictions are based not on “religious fanaticism,” but on scientific evidence that a fetus is not a mere extension of the mother’s body. It has misunderstood the needs of women impregnated by rape, 75-85% of whom give birth. Studies suggest that they do so in part because they see abortion as another act of violence against their bodies (http://afterabortion.org/rape.html). Worst of all, abortion has eclipsed issues that all women could rally behind, such as equal pay and the prevention of sexual assault.

The feminist movement is in serious need of reform. Mr. Jensen’s editorial didn’t help.

Kelsey Hazzard (’10)

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...