Letters to the Editor

Women’s rights and abortion are not synonyms

Wonderful.  Yet another article using “women’s rights” and “abortion” as near synonyms.

Before you accuse me of bias, I am not a Republican. I have doubts about Sarah Palin’s qualifications for the White House, especially when it comes to foreign policy. I may be voting third party.

That being said, Morten Hoi Jensen’s article promotes a counter-productive philosophy. The attitude he espouses has alienated pro-life feminists whose convictions are based not on “religious fanaticism,” but on scientific evidence that a fetus is not a mere extension of the mother’s body. It has misunderstood the needs of women impregnated by rape, 75-85% of whom give birth. Studies suggest that they do so in part because they see abortion as another act of violence against their bodies (http://afterabortion.org/rape.html). Worst of all, abortion has eclipsed issues that all women could rally behind, such as equal pay and the prevention of sexual assault.

The feminist movement is in serious need of reform. Mr. Jensen’s editorial didn’t help.

Kelsey Hazzard (’10)

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...