South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

Commuters in South Miami may experience delays getting to and from school due to construction at two major intersections. A section of Sunset Drive, right before US-1, has been partially closed off due to the addition of palm trees and a clock tower in front of City Hall. There has also been road work on Ludlam Road and Miller Drive, cutting off two of the four lanes.

TOWN Kitchen and Bar, located at 7301 S.W. 57th Court, is now serving breakfast on weekends. TOWN customers can enjoy amenities such as the “TOWN Benedict Bar” which offers a variety of egg dishes, the Bloody Mary bar with unlimited mimosas for $15, and accommodations for pets including a dog menu, water bowls, and pillows. Also, guests who come on bikes during breakfast can use the available bike rack and receive 10 percent off the cost of their meal.

Kohl’s opened its 47th environmentally friendly store in the United States yesterday in Town and Country Center on 11800 Mills Dr. in Kendall. Among the store’s “green” features are recycled and locally bought building materials, high-efficiency heating and cooling systems, water-conserving plumbing, and a recycling initiative for cardboard boxes, hangers, and packaging. The new store is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) pre-certified at the Silver level from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Students using the Miami-Dade Public Library System should know that, as of Wednesday, the policy for library card renewal and handling of delinquent accounts has changed. With the new policy, if a library user owes more than $30 for 30 days without responding to written notices, the account will be referred to a debt collection agency. Also, all fines must be paid in full when renewing a library card to be able to continue checking out books. For more information, visit www.mdpls.org.

Golf enthusiasts can participate in Deli Lane and Sunset Tavern’s annual golf outing this Friday. The tournament will take place at the International Links Miami-Melreese Golf Course and will benefit the YES Institute, a suicide awareness organization, and will sponsor a “Rally for the Cure” Closest to the Pin Contest. Afterwards, guests are invited to Sunset Tavern for lunch and an awards ceremony. For $105, one person can participate in the competition, receive a snack box, beverages, and a raffle ticket, and eat lunch at Sunset Tavern afterwards. For information, call 305-665-0606.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

University of Miami President Julio Frenk and Miami-Dade Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carva

Experts in the Department of Political Science’s 2020 election class explain why all eyes may be on

The Frost School of Music’s Band of the Hour discovers new ways to deliver school spirit at the Hard

Lauren Markwith played four years with Miami Hurricanes soccer. Now, she is on staff for Inter Miami

Sierra Domb uses her communications skills to raise awareness of and funding for studies on a sensor