South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

Commuters in South Miami may experience delays getting to and from school due to construction at two major intersections. A section of Sunset Drive, right before US-1, has been partially closed off due to the addition of palm trees and a clock tower in front of City Hall. There has also been road work on Ludlam Road and Miller Drive, cutting off two of the four lanes.

TOWN Kitchen and Bar, located at 7301 S.W. 57th Court, is now serving breakfast on weekends. TOWN customers can enjoy amenities such as the “TOWN Benedict Bar” which offers a variety of egg dishes, the Bloody Mary bar with unlimited mimosas for $15, and accommodations for pets including a dog menu, water bowls, and pillows. Also, guests who come on bikes during breakfast can use the available bike rack and receive 10 percent off the cost of their meal.

Kohl’s opened its 47th environmentally friendly store in the United States yesterday in Town and Country Center on 11800 Mills Dr. in Kendall. Among the store’s “green” features are recycled and locally bought building materials, high-efficiency heating and cooling systems, water-conserving plumbing, and a recycling initiative for cardboard boxes, hangers, and packaging. The new store is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) pre-certified at the Silver level from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Students using the Miami-Dade Public Library System should know that, as of Wednesday, the policy for library card renewal and handling of delinquent accounts has changed. With the new policy, if a library user owes more than $30 for 30 days without responding to written notices, the account will be referred to a debt collection agency. Also, all fines must be paid in full when renewing a library card to be able to continue checking out books. For more information, visit www.mdpls.org.

Golf enthusiasts can participate in Deli Lane and Sunset Tavern’s annual golf outing this Friday. The tournament will take place at the International Links Miami-Melreese Golf Course and will benefit the YES Institute, a suicide awareness organization, and will sponsor a “Rally for the Cure” Closest to the Pin Contest. Afterwards, guests are invited to Sunset Tavern for lunch and an awards ceremony. For $105, one person can participate in the competition, receive a snack box, beverages, and a raffle ticket, and eat lunch at Sunset Tavern afterwards. For information, call 305-665-0606.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...