South Miami/Kendall Beat Notebook

Commuters in South Miami may experience delays getting to and from school due to construction at two major intersections. A section of Sunset Drive, right before US-1, has been partially closed off due to the addition of palm trees and a clock tower in front of City Hall. There has also been road work on Ludlam Road and Miller Drive, cutting off two of the four lanes.

TOWN Kitchen and Bar, located at 7301 S.W. 57th Court, is now serving breakfast on weekends. TOWN customers can enjoy amenities such as the “TOWN Benedict Bar” which offers a variety of egg dishes, the Bloody Mary bar with unlimited mimosas for $15, and accommodations for pets including a dog menu, water bowls, and pillows. Also, guests who come on bikes during breakfast can use the available bike rack and receive 10 percent off the cost of their meal.

Kohl’s opened its 47th environmentally friendly store in the United States yesterday in Town and Country Center on 11800 Mills Dr. in Kendall. Among the store’s “green” features are recycled and locally bought building materials, high-efficiency heating and cooling systems, water-conserving plumbing, and a recycling initiative for cardboard boxes, hangers, and packaging. The new store is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) pre-certified at the Silver level from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Students using the Miami-Dade Public Library System should know that, as of Wednesday, the policy for library card renewal and handling of delinquent accounts has changed. With the new policy, if a library user owes more than $30 for 30 days without responding to written notices, the account will be referred to a debt collection agency. Also, all fines must be paid in full when renewing a library card to be able to continue checking out books. For more information, visit www.mdpls.org.

Golf enthusiasts can participate in Deli Lane and Sunset Tavern’s annual golf outing this Friday. The tournament will take place at the International Links Miami-Melreese Golf Course and will benefit the YES Institute, a suicide awareness organization, and will sponsor a “Rally for the Cure” Closest to the Pin Contest. Afterwards, guests are invited to Sunset Tavern for lunch and an awards ceremony. For $105, one person can participate in the competition, receive a snack box, beverages, and a raffle ticket, and eat lunch at Sunset Tavern afterwards. For information, call 305-665-0606.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...