Culture

Jay-Z, Wyclef Jean to perform in Miami for voter registration, Obama

In a previous issue of The Miami Hurricane, we asked students if famous actors or musicians influenced their political ideology. Though most students admitted they could care less about their favorite star’s presidential favorite, one student said, “If Jay-Z votes for Obama, I’ll vote for Obama.” Well, Obama can rest assured he has at least one more vote from that particular UM student.

This Sunday, the Obama Campaign will sponsor a free, yes free, Jay-Z concert at Bayfront Park for political supporters and hip-hop heads alike. Bayfront Park, known for its lax atmosphere and beautiful backdrop of the Miami skyline, has recently played host venue to shows like Rock the Bells, Warped Tour and will also be home to the 2009 Langerado Festival.

The show, entitled “Last Chance for Change: Voter Registration Rally with Jay-Z,” is absolutely free and open to anyone over 18. Tickets will be distributed starting tomorrow at 10 a.m. at Obama Campaign Headquarters in Coral Gables, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Hialeah, Hollywood, Homestead, Margate and Miami Gardens.

Doors open at 7 p.m. and the show begins at 8:30. Whether you’re an Obama supporter or not, a free Jay-Z night show beside the gorgeous Miami skyline is something you simply cannot miss. Check out the Obama Campaign’s site page at http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/JayZ for more info.

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...