Drinking citations decrease, could rise

At the University of Miami football game at Dolphin Stadium last Saturday, underaged drinkers were issued fewer citations than at the previous home game against Charleston Southern.

The State of Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco (ABT) issued 42 written citations last Saturday at the game against University of North Carolina. The majority of these citations were for underage possession of alcohol.

This number is down from 60 citations given at the Charleston Southern game on Aug. 28, all of which were for the same offense.

All of the underage citations given at Charleston Southern were to UM students while only 27 of the citations issued at the UNC game were to UM students, according to Ricardo Hall, the dean of students. The 27 citations given to UM students included 17 males and 10 females.

ABT patrolled the tailgates at both games in the same manner.

Both games also had three arrests, all given to UM students. According to Hall, arrests for simple possession are rare.

“The police generally do not arrest students unless they are acting disorderly,” he said. “A student has to do something verbally or physically to get arrested.”

Hall speculated that students being more familiar with Dolphin Stadium and the increased presence of parental figures because of Parents Weekend were reasons for the decrease in citations.

Hall said that the police at the UNC game were not undercover; however, he said he would not be surprised if undercover police were present at this Saturday’s game against FSU.

Hall added that he thinks ABT will use undercover police because there will be more students attending the rivalry game and students will have a longer time to tailgate. The FSU game will start at 3:30 p.m. while last Saturday’s game began at noon.

However, the earlier start for the UNC game did not slow down drinking of some students.

“At 10:30 in the morning I saw students drinking hard liquor,” Hall said. “They were drinking beer and playing drinking games. Many students were grossly intoxicated.”

Undercover police have come to patrol previous UM football games. They were present at the Charleston Southern game and have come to games at the Orange Bowl.

ABT could not confirm this prediction.

Another reason the amount of citations could grow is the presence of fewer parents at the FSU game than at the UNC game.

Kurt Lawhorn, a senior, said he believes more police were present at the UNC game than Charleston Southern.

The combined total of 102 written citations in the two home games has made other students more wary of tailgating.

Rachel Krasko, a sophomore, has avoided tailgating because of the large amount of citations given.

“I went a couple of times to the Orange Bowl last year, but this year it is not worth it,” Krasko said. “I do not want to go early and get caught with a drink in my hand. I cannot get arrested if I want to go to medical school.”

Robert Till, a freshman, who went to the game last Saturday, agreed.

“If you are underage and drinking at Dolphin Stadium you are always playing the odds,” Till said.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...