American crocodile found dismembered in UM canal Wednesday

A crocodile was found dead and mutilated in a canal on the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus Wednesday.

The American Crocodile, a recovering endangered species, is a common sight around the UM campus. The decapitated and de-tailed body is believed to have been found near the Ponce de Leon garage.

”It’s impossible for us to know at this point what the motivation was,” Officer Jorge Pino of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told The Miami Herald. “We’re hoping that somebody will get outraged enough to tell us if they’ve heard or seen anything. Right now, the reality is we have little to go on.”

UM is fully cooperating with the FWC investigation. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the FWC Wildlife Alert Hotline at 1-888-404-3922 or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...