Hurriqueen: Overcoming addictions requires work

Dear Hurriqueen,

I’m concerned that my life is spiraling out of control. I drink all the time, even before class or running errands during the week. I regularly pop Adderall, snort cocaine and smoke weed. I miss class all the time, and it’s impacting my grades in my new classes. I want to approach my professors about it, but I’m worried that it will negatively impact me even more. Some of my friends have even stopped hanging out with me because of how crazy I get. But I feel like I have no one to trust. Who can I turn to that won’t think I’m some junkie?

~Losing Grip

Dear Reader,

I want you to be proud of yourself for having the courage to admit that you have a problem. Although you are writing to me anonymously, honestly communicating that you are “spiraling out of control” is the first step to recovery.

Within the past two years, all of us celeb news junkies (no pun intended) have witnessed Britney lose her mind and shave her head; Lindsay race up Pacific Coast Highway while high or drunk on Lord knows what; and Paris head off to the slammer for slamming a few too many and then driving – something she probably shouldn’t even do sober. The common denominator? Alcohol or drug abuse, according to Us Weekly.

Today, all of my crazy Hollywood bitches have gotten their act together. And so can you. Don’t get me wrong – clearly, this queen isn’t qualified to guide you on the path to recovery. However, I’d like to think that I can help you approach this situation with a fresh mindset and steer you in the right direction to people who can help you make the decision to get clean.

On that note, do what Brit and Linds did: Seek help from professionals who know what they’re doing. The only way you can begin to recover is to understand why you have developed an addiction and learn to control your cravings. It’s much easier said than done, but a visit to the university’s Counseling Center will give you the chance to meet people who can assist you with this. Plus, they work with students with problems all the time, so who better to turn to? You can visit miami.edu/counseling-center for more information on their policies and a number you can call. I visited once when I needed guidance, and I found the professionals there to be helpful, personal, understanding, non-judgmental and confidential.

I wish I had a foolproof 5-step guide to solving your problem that would fit in this 500 word column. But the reality is this situation isn’t black and white and there are no shortcuts. For yourself and for those who love you, please visit the Counseling Center. 

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

Send responses and questions to hurriqueen@themiamihurricane.com.

The Hurriqueen

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...