Our opinion: Input and action from students will boost academic experience

It’s wrong to expect perfection…from anything. So that’s why several film students took it upon themselves to create the Quantum Film Society. Their goal is to provide a unique learning environment outside of the traditional classroom setting. Basically, they attempt to make up for their program’s shortcomings and have recently gained some attention because of it. 

Should students wait for their program directors to realize what is missing? Administrators and teachers say changes are coming, but think about it from a student’s perspective. If you’re a senior graduating this academic year, and the plan is to change the curriculum in fall 2009, you’re going to have some qualms about it.  

There must be some way to compromise. There should be constant communication between students and their schools. Those silly evaluation forms we are forced to fill out are generally worthless. A teacher may beg and plead for you to be as detailed as possible, but as soon as they walk out that door, anonymity takes over and the one word answers begin to flow.

Individual schools need to run focus groups and forums to discuss the issues within the specific programs. Many issues arise in regards to the lack of class selection. It is far too common in certain majors when upperclassmen, specifically seniors, get closed out of a class. The “Dean’s Forum” idea enacted by the Comm School’s Dean Sam Grogg is a great step in making meaningful discussion happen.

Another issue has to do with practicality. Each program should be specifically designed to maximize readiness for the real world. Advisors should be more than just that person you see when you need to make your schedule. They should help work on personalized career goals and be realistic when discussing the future.

Once there is a fully collaborative effort to bring together the students’ needs and the schools’ ability, we will all be closer to living happily ever after.

Editorial Board

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...