Our opinion: Input and action from students will boost academic experience

It’s wrong to expect perfection…from anything. So that’s why several film students took it upon themselves to create the Quantum Film Society. Their goal is to provide a unique learning environment outside of the traditional classroom setting. Basically, they attempt to make up for their program’s shortcomings and have recently gained some attention because of it. 

Should students wait for their program directors to realize what is missing? Administrators and teachers say changes are coming, but think about it from a student’s perspective. If you’re a senior graduating this academic year, and the plan is to change the curriculum in fall 2009, you’re going to have some qualms about it.  

There must be some way to compromise. There should be constant communication between students and their schools. Those silly evaluation forms we are forced to fill out are generally worthless. A teacher may beg and plead for you to be as detailed as possible, but as soon as they walk out that door, anonymity takes over and the one word answers begin to flow.

Individual schools need to run focus groups and forums to discuss the issues within the specific programs. Many issues arise in regards to the lack of class selection. It is far too common in certain majors when upperclassmen, specifically seniors, get closed out of a class. The “Dean’s Forum” idea enacted by the Comm School’s Dean Sam Grogg is a great step in making meaningful discussion happen.

Another issue has to do with practicality. Each program should be specifically designed to maximize readiness for the real world. Advisors should be more than just that person you see when you need to make your schedule. They should help work on personalized career goals and be realistic when discussing the future.

Once there is a fully collaborative effort to bring together the students’ needs and the schools’ ability, we will all be closer to living happily ever after.

Editorial Board

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...