Soccer

Canes soccer loses to Virginia Cavaliers, 2-0

MAKING MOVES: Paulelett Ricks-Chambers, a junior at UM and a midfielder on the women's soccer team, dribbles the ball at a game earlier this season. FILE PHOTO // HURRICANE STAFF

Miami’s not used to trailing by two goals at home this season. In fact, it hadn’t yet happened prior to last weekend.

But after a weekend matchup with No. 14  Virginia, all that changed. Two goals in the first thirty minutes put the Canes in a hole they couldn’t climb out of, as the Cavaliers left Cobb Stadium with a win, 2-0.

Virginia struck quickly, as sophomore forward Meghan Lencyk received a long pass from freshman forward Lauren Alwine and connected on a shot from 22 yards out, just out of reach of freshman goalie Vikki Alonzo.

“It was key to get the first goal today and Meghan Lenczyk’s goal was well taken,” Virginia head coach Steve Swanson said. “She took advantage of an opportunity and that is something we weren’t doing as often recently.”

The Cavaliers extended their lead in the 35th minute, as senior midfielder Alli Fries headed in a corner kick from junior Amanda Stewart. It’s only the second time in Alonzo’s career that she had given up more than one goal in a game, and the first time that she gave up the double in the first half.

Miami’s defense tightened up in the second half, but the offense couldn’t find their stride. Virginia attempted 21 shots on the day; the Miami attack could only muster four.

“Our game plan was to stay compact, I thought we did a good job with it,” associate head coach Jeff Freeman said after the game. “But a lack of concentration on a couple set pieces led to the goals.”

Miami ends its ACC homestand at 0-1-1, after tying Virginia Tech last Thursday night, 1-1.

Virginia Tech started the scoring in the fourth minute, as a shot from junior forward Emily Jukich rebounded in off the right post. Miami responded with a dramatic goal in the 88th minute from junior midfielder Paulelett Ricks-Chambers towards the back post.

In a reversal from Sunday’s game, Miami managed to get off 20 total shots, while the Canes defense held the Hokies to only  13. After 110 minutes of play, the teams remained deadlocked and had to settle for the tie.

Miami now hits the road for two conference games against Boston College and Maryland. The Canes will first take on Boson College this Thursday at 7 p.m.

Matthew Bunch

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...