Woodruff and Hunt talk politics with UM students

With the presidential election right around the corner, candidates are forced to focus their efforts on today’s economy, Judy Woodruff, a senior correspondent and political editor for PBS’s News Hour with Jim Lehrer, and her husband Al Hunt, executive editor for Bloomberg News, told University of Miami students in Gusman Concert Hall Friday.

“Congress will have to agree to get this massive complicated bailout package pushed through, and this problem has to be solved in short order – all of this happening with a lame duck president in office and right in the middle of a presidential election where the odds have never been higher,” Woodruff said.

“Things are constantly changing and the developments are just so shocking, this election is based on experience versus change, and we as nation want both,” Hunt said.

The University of Miami is playing host to a series of events entitled “A Dialogue for Democracy,” and Woodruff and Hunt were featured as the third event in the series.

This discussion attracted approximately 150 attendees, including students, faculty and parents who were in town for the university’s family weekend.

Steve Siegal, director of the Dialogue for Democracy program said that “this event makes a great transition into the family weekend.”

Woodruff and Hunt addressed issues that are pertinent to the upcoming presidential election as well as held a question and answer session with audience members following their presentation.

Woodruff shared her thoughts about what she thought of the upcoming election.

“Both candidates worked very hard to get to this point, overcoming enormous odds each in their own very distinct ways,” Woodruff said.

On the subject of today’s economy, Woodruff said, “I’ve been covering politics for over 30 years and I have never seen anything like this.”

Hunt agreed with Woodruff, adding that this year’s political season has been the most “remarkable thing I’ve seen in all the years I’ve been a journalist.”

“There is also great clash between the candidates as well as a cultural clash due to the factor of race”, Hunt said.

Students enjoyed the fact that the university is hosting the Dialogue For Democracy series.

A graduate student studying broadcast journalism, Chris Emma said, “I think it’s interesting to hear from journalists who are covering the election and to hear their points of view on the subject.”

The political mood continued throughout the evening as several debate watch parties were hosted on campus.

The next event in the series is called “The Way We’ll Be” and will feature John Zogby. It is on Thursday, Oct. 16, at 3 p.m. in the Bill Cosford Cinema.

For complete details on the upcoming schedule of the Dialogue For Democracy series, visit www.miami.edu/decision08.

Ryan Evan Rose

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...