Woodruff and Hunt talk politics with UM students

With the presidential election right around the corner, candidates are forced to focus their efforts on today’s economy, Judy Woodruff, a senior correspondent and political editor for PBS’s News Hour with Jim Lehrer, and her husband Al Hunt, executive editor for Bloomberg News, told University of Miami students in Gusman Concert Hall Friday.

“Congress will have to agree to get this massive complicated bailout package pushed through, and this problem has to be solved in short order – all of this happening with a lame duck president in office and right in the middle of a presidential election where the odds have never been higher,” Woodruff said.

“Things are constantly changing and the developments are just so shocking, this election is based on experience versus change, and we as nation want both,” Hunt said.

The University of Miami is playing host to a series of events entitled “A Dialogue for Democracy,” and Woodruff and Hunt were featured as the third event in the series.

This discussion attracted approximately 150 attendees, including students, faculty and parents who were in town for the university’s family weekend.

Steve Siegal, director of the Dialogue for Democracy program said that “this event makes a great transition into the family weekend.”

Woodruff and Hunt addressed issues that are pertinent to the upcoming presidential election as well as held a question and answer session with audience members following their presentation.

Woodruff shared her thoughts about what she thought of the upcoming election.

“Both candidates worked very hard to get to this point, overcoming enormous odds each in their own very distinct ways,” Woodruff said.

On the subject of today’s economy, Woodruff said, “I’ve been covering politics for over 30 years and I have never seen anything like this.”

Hunt agreed with Woodruff, adding that this year’s political season has been the most “remarkable thing I’ve seen in all the years I’ve been a journalist.”

“There is also great clash between the candidates as well as a cultural clash due to the factor of race”, Hunt said.

Students enjoyed the fact that the university is hosting the Dialogue For Democracy series.

A graduate student studying broadcast journalism, Chris Emma said, “I think it’s interesting to hear from journalists who are covering the election and to hear their points of view on the subject.”

The political mood continued throughout the evening as several debate watch parties were hosted on campus.

The next event in the series is called “The Way We’ll Be” and will feature John Zogby. It is on Thursday, Oct. 16, at 3 p.m. in the Bill Cosford Cinema.

For complete details on the upcoming schedule of the Dialogue For Democracy series, visit www.miami.edu/decision08.

Ryan Evan Rose

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...