Why would a woman vote for Sarah Palin?

Morten Hoi Jensen

Morten Hoi Jensen

It is largely agreed upon that Republican candidate John McCain at least partly chose Alaskan governor Sarah Palin as his VP choice in order to appeal to the women voters who supported Hilary Clinton as the Democratic presidential nominee.

As renowned feminist, Hillary Clinton famously said, “women’s rights are human rights.” Sarah Palin, who recently appeared on the cover of Newsweek sporting a sawed-off shotgun and a trigger-happy smile, is a self-proclaimed “hockey mom.” But in what way does Sarah Palin appeal to women voters (especially Clinton supporters), aside from the fact that she is a woman?

One thing that struck me is that Palin is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association and, judging from that Newsweek cover, enjoys hunting and killing animals (and, presumably, guarding herself from the A-rabs and commies). Guns and killing, it seems to me, are not often considered to be the kind of pastime woman usually indulge in, although there are obviously exceptions. Still, I don’t find it a sweeping generalization to claim that the obsession with firearms is most prevalent among men, which Freud will explain the reasons for.

More important than Palin’s attitude toward guns, however, is her attitude on abortion. In November of 2006, Palin apparently, and ridiculously, stated that she would not even support abortion if her own daughter was raped. So fierce is her religious fanaticism that she would rather condemn her own daughter to carry, bear, and take responsibility for a child that was consummated in complete violation of her body and her human rights than to acknowledge that every woman has an inviolable right to make her own decision about her own body.

I wonder if Sarah Palin has considered the prospect of a thirteen-year-old girl being raped and impregnated by her father. “Choosing life” is a rather cynical response in the event of such a crime.

And yet, the contemptible celebrities interviewed by various TV stations this weekend seemed reluctant to talk about anything other than Palin’s style and fashion. Never mind that there is a genuine risk of increasingly irresponsible gun laws; never mind that the government might be allowed to decide what a woman can or can’t do with her own body; never mind that Palin’s actions are governed by the illusions of the divine, convincing her that the earth, contrary to all scientific theories, is 6000 years old. Never mind all that, because at least she dresses well.

I sincerely hope women aren’t fooled by the rhetoric and the deceptive smile of “the hockey mom” who, as Sam Harris pointed out, has never met a foreign head of state. Instead, I hope that hearing Obama’s speech in the BankUnited Center on women’s issues made us all realize who the greater feminist is.

Morten Hoi Jensen

Contributing Opinion Writer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...