Volleyball

Volleyball team dealt first loss of the season

TEAM EFFORT: The women's volleyball team huddles up at a game against FSU last season. Until a loss Thursday, the team had won 15 straight matches. FILE PHOTO // STEVE ROOT

The University of Miami volleyball team had its 13-game winning streak to start the season – a 15-game streak continuing from last season – snapped Friday night as the Canes were swept by Wake Forest.

UM was off to its second best start in school history, as only the 2002 squad won more games to begin a season. That team started their season 15-0 before faltering.

With the loss, the Canes are now 13-1 and 2-1 in the ACC.

The weekend trip to North Carolina started strong, as Miami defeated Duke 3-1 on Thursday night.

For the sixth time this season, the Canes lost the first set but battled back from adversity and went on to win the match.

This was Miami’s second ever win against Duke. The Blue Devils lead the all-time series 7-2.

Sophomore setter Katie Gallagher led the way for the Hurricanes with 52 assists, while junior libero Cassie Loessberg had a team high 16 digs.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew and the reigning ACC Player of the Week, freshman outside hitter Lane Carico, each recorded double-doubles in kills and digs. Mayhew had 18 kills and 13 digs while Carico tallied 21 kills and 12 digs.

The Hurricanes tried to carry the momentum from Thursday night into Friday’s match in Winston-Salem, but it was to no avail.

Miami was swept 25-19, 25-22 and 25-21. It was the first time all season the Canes lost the second set of a match.

The difference in the match was in kills and assists. The Demon Deacons had 12 more kills and 14 more assists than the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes kill percentage was the lowest of the season (.114), and they committed their highest amount of errors (18) in a three set match since the season opener against Sacramento State.

Carico played strong in a losing effort. She recorded her fifth straight double-double and seventh overall.

The Hurricanes will look to start a new win streak next weekend when they conclude their five game road trip, as they travel to South Carolina to face Clemson on Friday and Atlanta the following night to take on Georgia Tech. First serve will be at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...