Movie Review: ‘Choke’ is far from filling

Choke, the new film from the Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) novel is just as sardonic and offensive as expected. But, there is a moral center to the film; it’s just difficult to grasp.

Victor (Sam Rockwell) is a sex addict that pays for his mom’s medical bills through a job at a colonial reenactment park. His other source of income is traveling to various restaurants and intentionally asphyxiating himself so that someone may save his life.

The savior then feels responsible for him and sends him sympathy money.

The movie is just as ugly as it sounds. Most of the humor comes from vulgar situations, and the overall tone is certainly mean-spirited. But there is a point to the proceedings, even if the book conveys this much more effectively.

Which brings up the main problem: the length. There is rarely a scene longer than two minutes, and the story seems rushed from the beginning. When a scene is over so quickly, it has little weight because the plot is busy setting up the next scene. The ending happens fast, diminishing and obscuring the message that really is there.

Choke is a worthwhile film, but feels like a light version of the book.

Rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...