Movie Review: ‘Choke’ is far from filling

Choke, the new film from the Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) novel is just as sardonic and offensive as expected. But, there is a moral center to the film; it’s just difficult to grasp.

Victor (Sam Rockwell) is a sex addict that pays for his mom’s medical bills through a job at a colonial reenactment park. His other source of income is traveling to various restaurants and intentionally asphyxiating himself so that someone may save his life.

The savior then feels responsible for him and sends him sympathy money.

The movie is just as ugly as it sounds. Most of the humor comes from vulgar situations, and the overall tone is certainly mean-spirited. But there is a point to the proceedings, even if the book conveys this much more effectively.

Which brings up the main problem: the length. There is rarely a scene longer than two minutes, and the story seems rushed from the beginning. When a scene is over so quickly, it has little weight because the plot is busy setting up the next scene. The ending happens fast, diminishing and obscuring the message that really is there.

Choke is a worthwhile film, but feels like a light version of the book.

Rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...