Movie Review: ‘Choke’ is far from filling

Choke, the new film from the Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) novel is just as sardonic and offensive as expected. But, there is a moral center to the film; it’s just difficult to grasp.

Victor (Sam Rockwell) is a sex addict that pays for his mom’s medical bills through a job at a colonial reenactment park. His other source of income is traveling to various restaurants and intentionally asphyxiating himself so that someone may save his life.

The savior then feels responsible for him and sends him sympathy money.

The movie is just as ugly as it sounds. Most of the humor comes from vulgar situations, and the overall tone is certainly mean-spirited. But there is a point to the proceedings, even if the book conveys this much more effectively.

Which brings up the main problem: the length. There is rarely a scene longer than two minutes, and the story seems rushed from the beginning. When a scene is over so quickly, it has little weight because the plot is busy setting up the next scene. The ending happens fast, diminishing and obscuring the message that really is there.

Choke is a worthwhile film, but feels like a light version of the book.

Rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...