Culture

Movie Review: ‘Choke’ is far from filling

Choke, the new film from the Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club) novel is just as sardonic and offensive as expected. But, there is a moral center to the film; it’s just difficult to grasp.

Victor (Sam Rockwell) is a sex addict that pays for his mom’s medical bills through a job at a colonial reenactment park. His other source of income is traveling to various restaurants and intentionally asphyxiating himself so that someone may save his life.

The savior then feels responsible for him and sends him sympathy money.

The movie is just as ugly as it sounds. Most of the humor comes from vulgar situations, and the overall tone is certainly mean-spirited. But there is a point to the proceedings, even if the book conveys this much more effectively.

Which brings up the main problem: the length. There is rarely a scene longer than two minutes, and the story seems rushed from the beginning. When a scene is over so quickly, it has little weight because the plot is busy setting up the next scene. The ending happens fast, diminishing and obscuring the message that really is there.

Choke is a worthwhile film, but feels like a light version of the book.

Rating: 2.5 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

Frost School of Music’s faculty and staff members and students utilize their talents to help unify t

Rudy Fernandez, senior vice president for public affairs and communications at the University of Mia

Hope is an elusive concept, but it is a crucial feeling to hold on to at a time of crisis. During th

Members of the Muslim Students of the University of Miami celebrate the holy month while adhering to

A University of Miami faculty member offers tips on how to preserve healthy work-life practices as w