Indie Spotlight: Fleet Foxes

The hills are alive with the sound of music! Fleet Foxes, though well-versed in their ’70s-based folk and rock roots, neither borrow, beg nor steal from their influences, but rather build from them, creating a broader, more rustic sound uniquely their own. In their self-titled debut LP, this Seattle-based quintet uses non-autobiographical storytelling and instrumentation to paint tales of nature, love, loss and death in your mind that will give Seattle’s “Emerald City” nickname a whole new perspective.

Although Fleet Foxes describe their sound as “baroque harmonic pop,” they also have tinges of sounds spanning a diverse range of genres from choral-pop, Appalachian/Celtic folk, and gospel to even the likes of Gregorian chant. The quintet includes Skye Skjelset, J. Tillman, Casey Wescott, Christian Wargo, and front man Robin Pecknold, some of whom were former members of Crystal Skulls, Pedro the Lion, and Seldom. Pecknold hired a family friend, Phil Ek, famous for his previous collaborations with The Shins, Built to Spill, and Modest Mouse, to produce the album.

The album’s opening track, “Sun it Rises,” chimes with an opening chant in four-part a capella harmony, a nod to the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds. Just like that pair of “vintage” jeans you bought – pre-ripped, tattered, and torn – the album’s use of heavy reverb (specifically on this track) creates an anti-urban aesthetic and proposes an idea much older and more organic than it actually is. Next, Fleet Foxes gracefully delve into generous amounts of repetition and rich roundelays in “White Winter Hymnal,” a two-and-a-half minute piece almost as vibrant as the Pieter Bruegel painting which graces the album cover. “Ragged Wood,” a highlight, nostalgically recalls a romance, with the narrator finally aching for his lover to “lie to me if you will/at the top of Beringer Hill/tell me anything you want/any old lie will do/call me back to you.”

Fleet Foxes songs have many narrators, often telling their stories from experience in a first-person perspective. In “Tiger Mountain Peasant Song,” the narrator deals with the loss of a loved one, feeling alienated and isolated from everything surrounding him as he internally reflects, “dear shadow alive and well/how can the body die/you tell me everything/anything true.” Just as the narrator feels isolated and lonely, Fleet Foxes are able to link the feeling of isolation with the solitary sounds of mellow finger-picking and a simple vocal melody so hauntingly beautiful that it will make you quiver almost as much as the vibrato in Robin Pecknold’s passionate vocals. The last track of the album, “Oliver James,” is another piece comprised of simple guitar picking and a vocal line. His voice trails off on the last phrase in an unexpected manner, leaving the listener only craving more. Seems we’ll all just have to wait until Fleet Foxes’ sophomore album to see what happens next!

Though Fleet Foxes are an independent band (on the Sub-Pop label), they are continuously gaining a larger fanbase, so why not hop on the bandwagon and check them out? For further information or audio tracks, check out their page at www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes.

Essential Fleet Foxes: “White Winter Hymnal,” “Ragged Wood,” “Heard Them Stirring”

Dan Buyanovsky

Senior Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...