Football

Canes lose to North Carolina in heartbreaking fashion

LAST CHANCE: Safety Trimane Goddard intercepts a pass from Robert Marve, intended for Kayne Farquharson, to end Miami's comeback attempt in the fourth quarter of Saturday's game against UNC. UNC won 28-24. BILLY GILBERT // Hurricane Staff

It seemed like Miami was finally going to get the upper hand on the North Carolina Tar Heels. After relenquishing a double-digit lead with under 10 minutes remaining, a pass from redshirt freshman Robert Marve seemed right on target for wide receiver Kayne Farquherson.

But close wasn’t enough, as the pass deflected right to safety Trimane Goddard, and Miami lost to North Carolina 28-24 for the second year in a row and the first time at Miami since 1957.

Junior quarterback Cameron Sexton capped a fourth quarter comeback with a 14-yard touchdown strike to Brooks Foster in the corner of the end zone with under a minute remaining, giving them their first lead of the game.

Quarterback Robert Marve gave the Hurricanes hope on their final drive when his 29-yard completion to receiver Kayne Farquharson set up the Hurricanes at the Tar Heels’ 20-yard line.

But on the final play of the game, Marve’s pass went off the hands of Farquharson and was intercepted by safety Trimane Goddard, leading to a Tar Hell on-the-field celebration for the Canes ACC opener.

The Hurricanes appeared to be in great position at the start of the fourth quarter when Marve connected with Aldarius Johnson to give the Canes a 24-14 lead.

Miami’s defense faltered when it mattered, allowing the Tar Heels to come back from a 10-point fourth quarter deficit.

Sexton sparked the rally by answering the touchdown, finding Hakeem Nicks over the middle of the field for a 74-yard touchdown, which cut the lead to three.

The Tar Heels were in shape to tie or take the lead late in the fourth quarter, but freshman cornerback Brandon Harris stepped up with a critical sack on third down to stall the drive. Although kicker Jay Wooten missed from 53-yards on the ensuing play, the Tar Heels shut down the Hurricanes on the following series to get the football back.

The result: Sexton hooking up with Foster, giving the Tar Heels the 28-24 lead and victory.

The Hurricanes, looking to avenge a 33-27 loss last season at the hands of the Tar Heels, got off to a fast start and led 14-0 in the second quarter.

Running back Graig Cooper had a strong performance, rushing for 110 yards on the ground, and he also hauled in an 11-yard touchdown catch.

Cooper tore off a 31-yard run which keyed an eight play, 89-yard drive on the opening drive of the game, which resulted in a Farquharson 9-yard catch for the score.

Marve finished the game 18-for-27 with three touchdown passes and two interceptions.

Alex Kushel

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...