Football

Canes lose to North Carolina in heartbreaking fashion

LAST CHANCE: Safety Trimane Goddard intercepts a pass from Robert Marve, intended for Kayne Farquharson, to end Miami's comeback attempt in the fourth quarter of Saturday's game against UNC. UNC won 28-24. BILLY GILBERT // Hurricane Staff

It seemed like Miami was finally going to get the upper hand on the North Carolina Tar Heels. After relenquishing a double-digit lead with under 10 minutes remaining, a pass from redshirt freshman Robert Marve seemed right on target for wide receiver Kayne Farquherson.

But close wasn’t enough, as the pass deflected right to safety Trimane Goddard, and Miami lost to North Carolina 28-24 for the second year in a row and the first time at Miami since 1957.

Junior quarterback Cameron Sexton capped a fourth quarter comeback with a 14-yard touchdown strike to Brooks Foster in the corner of the end zone with under a minute remaining, giving them their first lead of the game.

Quarterback Robert Marve gave the Hurricanes hope on their final drive when his 29-yard completion to receiver Kayne Farquharson set up the Hurricanes at the Tar Heels’ 20-yard line.

But on the final play of the game, Marve’s pass went off the hands of Farquharson and was intercepted by safety Trimane Goddard, leading to a Tar Hell on-the-field celebration for the Canes ACC opener.

The Hurricanes appeared to be in great position at the start of the fourth quarter when Marve connected with Aldarius Johnson to give the Canes a 24-14 lead.

Miami’s defense faltered when it mattered, allowing the Tar Heels to come back from a 10-point fourth quarter deficit.

Sexton sparked the rally by answering the touchdown, finding Hakeem Nicks over the middle of the field for a 74-yard touchdown, which cut the lead to three.

The Tar Heels were in shape to tie or take the lead late in the fourth quarter, but freshman cornerback Brandon Harris stepped up with a critical sack on third down to stall the drive. Although kicker Jay Wooten missed from 53-yards on the ensuing play, the Tar Heels shut down the Hurricanes on the following series to get the football back.

The result: Sexton hooking up with Foster, giving the Tar Heels the 28-24 lead and victory.

The Hurricanes, looking to avenge a 33-27 loss last season at the hands of the Tar Heels, got off to a fast start and led 14-0 in the second quarter.

Running back Graig Cooper had a strong performance, rushing for 110 yards on the ground, and he also hauled in an 11-yard touchdown catch.

Cooper tore off a 31-yard run which keyed an eight play, 89-yard drive on the opening drive of the game, which resulted in a Farquharson 9-yard catch for the score.

Marve finished the game 18-for-27 with three touchdown passes and two interceptions.

Alex Kushel

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...