Letters to the Editor

What is Ramadan?

We are passing through the Islamic holy month of Ramadan and many people probably wonder what motivates a group of people to fast and go hungry during the daylight hours continuously for one month. What is the benefit? First and foremost, we fast for the love of God and the obedience to His commandments. Secondly, we gain nearness to him, and finally, to condition ourselves to better serve humanity.

The Holy Quran states:

“O ye who believe, fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may guard against evil.” (2:84)

Two points are noted here. One, that fasting was prescribed by God for all divinely revealed religions before Islam. Two, it is a discipline that helps to strengthen the mind, builds character, and fortifies one’s moral resolve so that one will be better equipped to resist evil.

Islam teaches there is an indelible link between man and his creator and the ultimate goal of Islam is to help man reach God through moral and spiritual advancement. Fasting is one of the pillars of Islam that supports this advancement. For one month, Muslims abstain from food and drink and are even encouraged to stay away from permissible pleasures, while being encouraged to increase their time in prayers, reflection, and study, for the sake of strengthening that relationship. I would like to quote a relevant saying from the Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him), “Allah, the Lord of honour and glory says: All other deeds of man are for himself, but his fasting is purely for Me and I shall reward him for it… (Bukhari, Muslim).”

Another blessing of fasting is that it helps to develop one’s sympathy for humanity. For example, in the state of fasting when one feels the pang of hunger, one’s mind is drawn towards the impoverished and hungry ones of the world. As a result, Muslims are reminded to be more charitable during the month. It is recorded about the prophet Muhammad (peace be on him) in history, “Ibn Abbas relates that the Holy Prophet was the most generous of men and he was at his most bountiful during Ramadhan…  During this period the bounty of the Holy Prophet waxed faster than the rain-bearing breeze (Bukhari and Muslim).”

Next time a friend of yours says he/she is fasting, these are some of the reasons why.

Ahmed Hassan

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...