Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Hurricane donation drive at Dolphin Stadium

University of Miami fans attending the football games on Sept. 27 against North Carolina and Oct. 4 against Florida State University are urged to drop off non-perishable canned food and clothing items at the stadium for Caribbean victims of Hurricane Ike, Gustav and Hanna.

All items collected will be distributed by the City of Miami and the Carma Foundation, led by Milky Jean, sister of award-winning recording artist Wyclef Jean.

VOLLEYBALL

Carico named ACC Player of the Week

Freshman Lane Carico earned the honor of ACC Player of the Week Monday after leading the Canes to victories against Florida State and Florida Atlantic this past weekend.

Carico recorded 28 kills and 26 digs, one service ace, four blocks and posted a .356 hitting percentage.

On the year, the 5’11” outside hitter has a team-best five double-doubles as Miami rides a 14-match winning streak.

TRACK/FIELD

Robinson new associate track coach

Calvin Robinson was named associate track coach for jump and multi-events at the University of Miami by Amy Deem, director of track and field and cross country.

Robinson, who was named the 2008 USTFCCCA Mountain Region Women’s Assistant Coach of the Year, held the same position for four years at UTEP, where he coached 16 All-Americans.

BASEBALL

Recruiting class ranked seventh

The University of Miami’s 13-member signing class was ranked seventh nationally by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

Five pitchers and eight position players, 10 of which hail from Florida, will look to make an immediate impact for the Hurricanes, who lost eight in the 2008 MLB Draft.

Arizona State earned the top ranking for its 20-player class.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...