Paths to Victory Part III: The ‘First Five’

There are ten states that may be classified as “toss-up states”. It is nearly impossible to make completely accurate predictions concerning these ten states. Five of these ten states are within 2% points according to realclearpolitics.com and may be referred to as the “Final Five.” The other five may be referred to as the “First Five.”

The First Five comprises Florida (27), Pennsylvania (21), Michigan (17), Indiana (11) and New Mexico (5). The First Five will be hotly contested and will see much campaigning.

In recent history, the most controversial of these states is Florida. McCain is currently leading in Florida by an average of 3% points and also has history on his side. In 2000, Bush won the state of Florida in an incredibly contentious election. The bad news for the Obama campaign is that Bush extended his margin of victory in Florida in the 2004 election. Currently, McCain is the favorite in this state.

The most important of these states to Democrats is Pennsylvania. Obama is currently in the lead in Pennsylvania by an average of 4.7% points. In the last two elections Pennsylvania has voted Democratic and the state seems to favor Obama. If the Democrats should lose this state, a victory for the Republicans is almost guaranteed.

Another remarkably important state for Democrats is Michigan. Michigan has voted for Democrats in the last two general elections and Obama currently leads by an average of 2.8% points. Michigan is crucial to a Democratic victory and without it chances for the Democrats would seem slim.

New Mexico is another state that is currently leaning towards Obama. Obama currently leads in New Mexico by an average of 4.3% points. New Mexico was won by Al Gore in 2000, but also won by Bush in 2004. Both victories were by narrow margins and the state is hotly contested once again.

Indiana is a state that the Obama campaign has hoped to steal from the Republicans. However, McCain is leading in the state by an average of 4.7% points. Indiana has gone strongly Republican in the last two elections and it seems as though the state favors McCain.

If we allocate the electoral votes to the candidates that are leading in the particular First Five states, Obama continues to lead with 260 electoral votes to McCain’s 227.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...