Volleyball

Freshmen provide a spark

Lane Carico keeps her eye on the ball as she looks for the kill against FSU. File Photo by Steve Root // Hurricane Staff.

The University of Miami volleyball team won its 12th straight game to start the season, and they have won 14 straight dating back to last season.

UM has swept seven of its 12 opponents thus far. In the other five matches, the Canes have found themselves down after the first set, but all five times the Canes have persevered and come back to take each match.

Last year, the Hurricanes won just three times after faltering in the first set.

Fittingly, the volleyball team’s theme song this year is Desloc Piccalo’s single titled “Vibe-N.” The main lyrics to the song are “in my zone.”

No players are in the zone more than freshmen outside hitters Lane Carico and Ali Becker.

Although the team is anchored by Genny Mayhew, Katie Gallagher and Cassie Loessberg, Becker and Carico have played integral roles, leading to the teams’ best start since the 2002 season, when they opened up 15-0.

On Monday Carico was named ACC Player of the Week after UM defeated two in-state rivals last weekend, Florida State and FAU.

She has started every game despite being a freshman, and she has come to play in each one. Carico had back-to-back double digits in kills and digs in those games, and she leads the team with five double-doubles.

Carico is from Manhattan Beach, Calif. She led her high school to three straight state championships and was nationally ranked as the No. 66 senior by volleyballprep.com.

Carico had lots of offers but decided to choose The U.

“I like that [Miami] is close to the beach,” the 5’11” Carico said. “I also like the private school aspect, and it has a great education and the volleyball program is a lot of fun.”

Carico’s sister, Taylor, is a junior at the University of Southern California. Taylor was named a second team All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association and was named first team All-Conference in the Pac-10 last year.

Lane has learned a lot from her sister.

“My sister and I are really close,” she said. “We call each other after every one of our games. We learn from each other and wish each other luck. [Taylor] inspires me to achieve really high goals. My whole family is really competitive so we all aim high.”

Carico is second on Miami in kills and digs and tied for a team lead in service aces.

Becker, Carico’s suitemate, is from Katy, Texas.

She was a highly touted recruit who earned first team All-District and Academic All-District honors during her senior season in high school.

Thus far, Becker has been very handy doing whatever she can on the court to help the team win, and she has started in every game.

“I am really surprised about the amount of playing time thus far,” the 6’1″ Becker said. “I started playing volleyball in seventh grade and I was on the C team. I just kept working hard every day and played a lot of club [volleyball].”

Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch knows how vital her two young stars are.

“Our freshmen have come in ready to play and ready to make a difference on the court.”

The Canes are in the midst of a five game road trip. This week they head to North Carolina to play ACC foes Duke on Thursday and Wake Forest on Friday. Both games start at 7 p.m.

Duke will be Miami’s toughest opponent thus far, as they swept the Canes twice last year and are off to a 9-3 start.

The Hurricanes will look to feed off their two young stars and return to Coral Gables with their best start ever, 16-0.

Justin Antweil

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...