Different Path for ‘Cutie’

Death Cab for Cutie’s latest album Narrow Stairs is definitely a new take on their own sound from their earlier albums. They make sure to let you know with the second track of the album, “I Will Possess Your Heart,” which builds up 5 wordless minutes of moody atmosphere before it becomes a stalker’s love letter that would even make Sting blush.

Ben Gibbard, also the lead singer of The Postal Service, displays a darker side with his lyrics, all the while maintaining that high quality tenor that has made him so easy to listen to. It is his voice that makes the lyrics seem to flow more easily and take away the heartbreaking sting from songs like “You Can Do Better Than Me,” which dives into the crushing depths of loneliness.

Even with those gloomy topics, the band never really seems to lose sight of its pop-rock sensibilities. Kudos should be given to guitarist and producer Chris Walla, who stays away from thinking that if “it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” Walla, along with the rest of the band, wanted to create a new vibe for their group and ended up surpassing previous attempts. They have not exceeded their efforts by leaps and bounds, but did make baby steps in their progression.

Alejandro Fonseca

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...