Cheap Thrills: Beating the money crunch

The headlines may wail economic woe, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up your fun. With daily specials and frugal decisions, there are many ways to squeeze out a good time during this financial crunch. Those needing to cut back on their Thursday night spending can enjoy dollar beers at Fat Tuesdays. You real penny-pinchers out there can hit up the Grove a day earlier for penny beer Wednesdays at Sandbar. This is definitely some of the cheapest beer in town. But don’t wait too late, the penny beer is usually sold out by midnight. The quaint, little bar at Bougainvilleas right behind Sunset Place transforms into a party house on Wednesday nights. It makes economical midweek partying possible, at least for the ladies. Ladies drink free until 2 p.m. and, with such close proximity to campus, if you’re really pressed for cash you can also save on the gas and parking. Guys, at least you can escape the budget drainer of buying her drinks.

Hungry? You can take a break from the dining hall monotony and eat out at Fridays on Fridays with their $4 appetizers. They recently added to their appetizer menu and the portions are generous, so they can easily substitute for a meal. If that doesn’t sound appealing, or everyone else is looking for a trendier table, it’s always a good idea to split a meal with someone. With plates the size of tubs at most restaurants, this option is easy on the wallet as well as the waistline. Also, be sure to ask if they give a UM discount. Many local places do, like Coldstone and Chicken Kitchen. Just be sure to pack your Cane Card.

Another great way to have a good time but not be regretting it the next time you check your bank statement is searching for alternatives. In the mood for a movie?  Rent a movie and skip the lines and $9 tickets at the movie theaters. Craving Coldstone? Split a tub of Ben & Jerry’s.

Though times may be getting tougher on our wallets, the savvy student knows how to have a good time the frugal way. A little forethought put into entertainment and dining decisions may mean the difference between having to make that please-send-me-money call to parents or not.

Carla Tabag

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...