UM senior wins $25,000 on ‘Jeopardy!’

For 20-year-old senior Max House Johansen, it seems as if his University of Miami education paid off – literally. Johansen, who is called “well-read” and “very smart” by friends, came home with $25,000 after winning trivia game show Jeopardy!’s “Kids Week Reunion,” which aired at 7:30 p.m. on WPLG channel 10 Monday night.

Johansen, who competed and lost in the original “Kids Week Jeopardy!” in 1999, was contacted by a Jeopardy! producer last May who asked if he wanted to participate in the show’s Kids Week Reunion episode, and Johansen accepted.

“When I didn’t win Kids Week Jeopardy! [in 1999], it haunted me,” Johansen said, adding that in middle school, he was famous for impersonating actor Keanu Reeves. “I’d been wishing to get a second chance ever since.”

Johansen, who outsmarted the two other contestants during Monday’s reunion episode, said that the morning of the show, he “knew [he]was going to win.”

To prepare for the show, Johansen received support and help from roommates and friends and regularly watched Jeopardy! to learn the trivia categories.

“He’s been DVRing every Jeopardy! episode for three months trying to prepare for this,” said Ben Bleustein, a senior majoring in finance. “He would also try and calculate what amount of money he would need if he was the person in the lead.”

He was encouraged by friends to take “True Daily Doubles,” a strategy that can double a contestant’s score if answered correctly and in many cases, take the lead. However, if answered wrong, the score drops to zero.

In Johansen’s case, this risky strategy worked in his favor.

Johansen’s friends said it was “not a surprise” that he won the game show.

“He’s very well-read and he wanted this really badly,” said Johansen’s former roommate Eric Newman, a senior majoring in biology. “He took the time to make sure he was ready.”

Last year, as roommates, Johansen and Newman had “serious and philosophical conversations irrelevant to life,” said Newman.

Other friends said Johansen’s keen memory helped him win the game show.

“He can watch movies and recite the words back verbatim,” said Max Shewer, a junior majoring in advertising. “He’s been brilliant since he came out of the womb.”

Johansen said he will use his prize money for rent, investment savings, “buying things,” and a 21st birthday party next weekend.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...