UM senior wins $25,000 on ‘Jeopardy!’

For 20-year-old senior Max House Johansen, it seems as if his University of Miami education paid off – literally. Johansen, who is called “well-read” and “very smart” by friends, came home with $25,000 after winning trivia game show Jeopardy!’s “Kids Week Reunion,” which aired at 7:30 p.m. on WPLG channel 10 Monday night.

Johansen, who competed and lost in the original “Kids Week Jeopardy!” in 1999, was contacted by a Jeopardy! producer last May who asked if he wanted to participate in the show’s Kids Week Reunion episode, and Johansen accepted.

“When I didn’t win Kids Week Jeopardy! [in 1999], it haunted me,” Johansen said, adding that in middle school, he was famous for impersonating actor Keanu Reeves. “I’d been wishing to get a second chance ever since.”

Johansen, who outsmarted the two other contestants during Monday’s reunion episode, said that the morning of the show, he “knew [he]was going to win.”

To prepare for the show, Johansen received support and help from roommates and friends and regularly watched Jeopardy! to learn the trivia categories.

“He’s been DVRing every Jeopardy! episode for three months trying to prepare for this,” said Ben Bleustein, a senior majoring in finance. “He would also try and calculate what amount of money he would need if he was the person in the lead.”

He was encouraged by friends to take “True Daily Doubles,” a strategy that can double a contestant’s score if answered correctly and in many cases, take the lead. However, if answered wrong, the score drops to zero.

In Johansen’s case, this risky strategy worked in his favor.

Johansen’s friends said it was “not a surprise” that he won the game show.

“He’s very well-read and he wanted this really badly,” said Johansen’s former roommate Eric Newman, a senior majoring in biology. “He took the time to make sure he was ready.”

Last year, as roommates, Johansen and Newman had “serious and philosophical conversations irrelevant to life,” said Newman.

Other friends said Johansen’s keen memory helped him win the game show.

“He can watch movies and recite the words back verbatim,” said Max Shewer, a junior majoring in advertising. “He’s been brilliant since he came out of the womb.”

Johansen said he will use his prize money for rent, investment savings, “buying things,” and a 21st birthday party next weekend.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...