Paths to Victory Part II: Lean on me

To recap, we’ve gone over the states that vote a certain way.  Now, we’ll discuss the states that usually vote a particular way.

States in which a particular candidate shows a modest lead in the polls (a realclearpolitics.com average of five percent points or more) may be referred to as leaning states. Some of these leaning states can be seen as relatively reliable, such as New Jersey (15), Washington (11) and Iowa (7) for the Democrats and Montana (3) and North Dakota (3) for the Republicans.

Of these states, Iowa is incredibly interesting because George W. Bush actually won the state in 2004. During the Democratic primaries, Obama built up strong support in Iowa and used the state to springboard his candidacy. Obama has built on the strong anti-war sentiment in Iowa and formed a solid majority.

Other states are less reliable, but they are certainly leaning in a particular direction. These states will be strongly fought over and will be part of the focus of the campaign. Leaning states like Wisconsin (10), Minnesota (10), and Oregon (7) favor Obama, while Georgia (15), North Carolina (15), and Missouri (11) favor McCain.

After adding the amount of solid states to leaning states, Obama continues to hold a lead with 217 electoral votes compared to McCain’s 189 electoral votes.

Next, we will discuss the first five toss-up states.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...