Our Opinion: Adderall not to be ignored

The long-time debate over performance enhancing drugs has finally bridged the gap between athletics and academics. While Barry Bonds defends his position on steroid use, thousands of college students continue to consume Adderall, the infamous performance-enhancing drug that will raise your GPA from 2.0 to a 4.0 in the blink of an eye (results may vary).

“Addy,” as it is sometimes referred to on the streets, is spreading throughout college campuses nationwide. A controlled substance prescribed to those with ADHD, it has given an income to those who are prescribed it and has infested the minds of those who are not. 

If you find yourself consistently taking the pill as a study aid, chances are you’ll end up using it as a crutch for the simplest of tasks, such as washing dishes or doing laundry. That is when it has gone too far – especially if a doctor has not prescribed it.  

But if you can legally obtain this miraculous pill, you are probably well aware of the financial benefits that may follow. The entire operation of an Adderall “provider” revolves around midterms and final exams. Prices are jacked up 500% to 10 and sometimes 20 dollars per pill.

The library is chockfull of eager students searching for their magic pill. You can sit at a table outside of Richter and watch transactions occur right under your nose. It’s incredibly obvious and sometimes seems as if the participants don’t know the legal implications surrounding it.

We mean not to diminish Adderall entirely. Those who use it legally reap incredible benefits, allowing them to enjoy life to the fullest. But that’s precisely what it is: an aid to those who need it, not an enhancer to those who just can’t stand  studying for their economics final.

To put it simply, know and use Adderall for what it is – a drug. If you’re not prescribed it legally, you’re not using it to be a better student: you’re a drug user. And if you’re abusing your prescription to feed others’ habits, you’re a drug dealer. 

Easy enough, right?

Editorial Board

So what do UM Board of Trustee members think of what’s going on with the football program? Conversat ...

The University of Miami has dismissed wide receiver Jeff Thomas — widely recognized as the most gift ...

University of Miami sophomore receiver Jeff Thomas, widely considered the team’s most gifted player ...

Khris Bogle isn’t shy about his enthusiasm for the Alabama Crimson Tide after a recent visit to Tusc ...

Finally, the Eye on the U podcast comes to your ears after a Miami Hurricanes win. Miami went on the ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

Jaquan Johnson, Michael Jackson and Sheldrick Redwine have forged an unbreakable bond at Miami and a ...

Canes and Explorers kick off tournament Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team is set to host its annual Miami Thanksgiving Classi ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...