Our Opinion: Adderall not to be ignored

The long-time debate over performance enhancing drugs has finally bridged the gap between athletics and academics. While Barry Bonds defends his position on steroid use, thousands of college students continue to consume Adderall, the infamous performance-enhancing drug that will raise your GPA from 2.0 to a 4.0 in the blink of an eye (results may vary).

“Addy,” as it is sometimes referred to on the streets, is spreading throughout college campuses nationwide. A controlled substance prescribed to those with ADHD, it has given an income to those who are prescribed it and has infested the minds of those who are not. 

If you find yourself consistently taking the pill as a study aid, chances are you’ll end up using it as a crutch for the simplest of tasks, such as washing dishes or doing laundry. That is when it has gone too far – especially if a doctor has not prescribed it.  

But if you can legally obtain this miraculous pill, you are probably well aware of the financial benefits that may follow. The entire operation of an Adderall “provider” revolves around midterms and final exams. Prices are jacked up 500% to 10 and sometimes 20 dollars per pill.

The library is chockfull of eager students searching for their magic pill. You can sit at a table outside of Richter and watch transactions occur right under your nose. It’s incredibly obvious and sometimes seems as if the participants don’t know the legal implications surrounding it.

We mean not to diminish Adderall entirely. Those who use it legally reap incredible benefits, allowing them to enjoy life to the fullest. But that’s precisely what it is: an aid to those who need it, not an enhancer to those who just can’t stand  studying for their economics final.

To put it simply, know and use Adderall for what it is – a drug. If you’re not prescribed it legally, you’re not using it to be a better student: you’re a drug user. And if you’re abusing your prescription to feed others’ habits, you’re a drug dealer. 

Easy enough, right?

Editorial Board

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...