Obama to campaign on UM campus Friday; will focus on women’s issues

Barack Obama

Once more, the University of Miami will be the center stage in the world of politics. This Friday, Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential candidate, will campaign on the Coral Gables campus, presenting his “Women’s Rally for the Change We Need” speech, at the BankUnited Center.

The speech will emphasize issues that directly affect women, such as healthcare, economic advancement and abortion.

“He wants to connect with the voters, especially the women,” said Corey Ciorciari, a senior and a financial intern for the Obama Campaign. “We don’t want to lose everything that [Sen. Hillary] Clinton worked for.”

“I think [Obama] knows what he’s talking about,” said senior John Nahas. “He’s getting a lot of people interested in politics that otherwise wouldn’t care.”

Talks to secure the BankUnited Center as the location for the event began Sunday, when the university was informed by the Obama Campaign that the senator was coming to South Florida, according to Rudy Fernandez, vice president for Government Affairs, who helped coordinate the event. Negotiations to host the event were finalized on Tuesday morning, he added.

“President [Donna E.] Shalala is big on exposing the student body to diverse events that make people think about the election,” Fernandez said.

An e-mail informing the UM community of Sen. Obama’s visit was sent out to the university community and Obama supporters on Tuesday afternoon. The event will be free and the tickets, which were available through Obama’s campaign website, were sold out by Tuesday evening. Around 3,500 tickets were made available through the Web site.

To prepare for the rally, the University of Miami Young Democrats distributed tickets in the UC Breezeway throughout Wednesday. On Friday, they will partner with Get Out the Vote and UM for Equality and set up a voter’s registration table at 7 a.m.

The UM College Republicans could not be reached for comment.

“We need to be more politically aware of what’s going on in the country,” said junior Kristina Rosales, president of Get Out the Vote, an organization that helps register and provide voting information to students. “It’s very important for people to know what issues are being debated.”

In order to gain entrance to the event, students must present their e-ticket and their Cane Card. According to the university’s Ibis News, students in attendance will be provided with a voucher for a free snack box if they present their Cane Card. Doors will open at 9:30 a.m., and the program will begin at 11:45 a.m. Students are encouraged to arrive early since the event is free to the public and there is no priority seating for students. Seats will be assigned on a first come, first served basis, and possession of an e-ticket doesn’t guarantee a space inside the BankUnited Center.

Bags, backpacks, signs, banners, video and audio recorders and cameras will not be allowed inside the BankUnited Center for security reasons. For a complete list of items prohibited in the BankUnited Center, visit www.bankunitedcenter.com.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...