Football

Matchup: Miami vs. Texas A&M

Quarterback: Robert Marve and Jacory Harris have looked good so far for Miami. Not great, but good. To be honest, all this team needs is good quarterback play to win. On the flip side, Texas A&M starter Stephen McGee has been erratic in a new offense and may not play against Miami due to injury. Replacement Jerrod Johnson, a sophomore, looked good last week. However, the Aggies were playing New Mexico, a team that does not boast the same type of speed on defense as Miami. EDGE: Miami

Running Back: Tailback Michael Goodson and fullback Jovorskie Lane are both very talented for the Aggies. However, their lack of success in the passing game has led to opponents taking away the run game with eight men in the box. As for Miami, the loss of Javarris James hurts. Graig Cooper and Derron Thomas will be the primary ball carriers, but neither is the grinder that James is. On pure talent, these teams are even. However, Miami has been more successful on the ground this season, and the Aggies have struggled stopping the run against weaker teams. EDGE: Miami

Receivers: Hurricane receivers continue to drop passes. This week, a shakeup on the depth chart leaves Aldarious Johnson and Sam Shields as the starters. Neither has been a part of the problem, and they are both talented. Look for a smaller rotation at this position. Travis Benjamin appears poised for a breakout game. For the Aggies, big freshman Ryan Tannehill leads the way. He could create matchup problems, so look for Miami to use zone. EDGE: Even

Offensive Line: Miami’s line has opened holes in the run game, which cannot be said for the Aggie line. Both have struggled in pass protection and have been bailed out by athletic quarterbacks. On the strength of the run game, Miami gets the advantage. EDGE: Miami

Defensive Line: The Aggies have struggled to stop the run, and these troubles always start up front. Miami has played well against the run and has gotten after the passer. The Hurricane line is back at full strength with the return of Eric Moncur and Allen Bailey last week. Look for one of them to have a big game. EDGE: Miami

Linebackers: Miami’s linebackers were great last week; much better than they showed the previous week. Sean Spence has been the team’s best player. Aggie linebackers are not as talented and have been unable to get untracked because of the defensive line’s struggles. EDGE: Miami

Secondary: Miami’s backs have not put up impressive statistics but have played surprisingly well – minus the fourth quarter against the Gators. They need to create turnovers. The Aggies secondary is untested so far. Look for the Canes’ speed to play a big factor. EDGE: Miami

Special Teams: Miami’s kicking and returns have been good, but their coverage has been shoddy. The Aggies’ Richie Bean is 0-2 on field goals in the Aggies’ first two games. EDGE: Miami

Dan Stein

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...