Healthy Cane: Great diet foods

Q. I’m trying to lose weight but I can’t stop myself from eating. Are there any foods that I can eat that will help me lose weight?

A. All of us, at one time or another, want to lose weight, and we all come to the same conclusion: We like food and don’t want to give it up! Well, you’re in luck because there are a few foods that have the magic ability to actually speed up our metabolisms if they are eaten frequently and in moderation. Some of these fine-tasting foods are pomegranates, whole grains like millet, nutrient-rich asparagus, pine nuts and green tea. Eating small meals frequently throughout the day also helps. Make sure you chew slowly and enjoy your food, as opposed to scarfing it down with a big gulp. Another strategy I find particularly helpful when I’m trying to lose weight and control what I eat is a raw food diet. Now, some of you may think that man discovered fire for a reason, but cooking denatures food and makes it hard to digest and be utilized efficiently by your body. Go to a sushi restaurant, eat salads, and cut up some carrots. You don’t have to go completely raw but you will be surprised how full you feel, because your body is actually digesting the food you’re eating. Good luck and remember to give yourself a treat every once in a while.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

With remarks by entrepreneur and alumnus Rony Abovitz, a recent event at the Kislak Center showcased ...

A UM student retention task force is working to ensure that all first-year students feel at home. ...

A new School of Nursing and Health Studies’ initiative delivers critical health care for Miami’s hom ...

As part of the Leadership UMiami program, students heard from community leaders who spend their care ...

Miller School of Medicine doctors are providing assistance on Great Abaco Island, where survivors of ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...

The first-year and redshirt players in Miami's developmental training program have spent months ...