Healthy Cane: Great diet foods

Q. I’m trying to lose weight but I can’t stop myself from eating. Are there any foods that I can eat that will help me lose weight?

A. All of us, at one time or another, want to lose weight, and we all come to the same conclusion: We like food and don’t want to give it up! Well, you’re in luck because there are a few foods that have the magic ability to actually speed up our metabolisms if they are eaten frequently and in moderation. Some of these fine-tasting foods are pomegranates, whole grains like millet, nutrient-rich asparagus, pine nuts and green tea. Eating small meals frequently throughout the day also helps. Make sure you chew slowly and enjoy your food, as opposed to scarfing it down with a big gulp. Another strategy I find particularly helpful when I’m trying to lose weight and control what I eat is a raw food diet. Now, some of you may think that man discovered fire for a reason, but cooking denatures food and makes it hard to digest and be utilized efficiently by your body. Go to a sushi restaurant, eat salads, and cut up some carrots. You don’t have to go completely raw but you will be surprised how full you feel, because your body is actually digesting the food you’re eating. Good luck and remember to give yourself a treat every once in a while.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...