Healthy Cane: Great diet foods

Q. I’m trying to lose weight but I can’t stop myself from eating. Are there any foods that I can eat that will help me lose weight?

A. All of us, at one time or another, want to lose weight, and we all come to the same conclusion: We like food and don’t want to give it up! Well, you’re in luck because there are a few foods that have the magic ability to actually speed up our metabolisms if they are eaten frequently and in moderation. Some of these fine-tasting foods are pomegranates, whole grains like millet, nutrient-rich asparagus, pine nuts and green tea. Eating small meals frequently throughout the day also helps. Make sure you chew slowly and enjoy your food, as opposed to scarfing it down with a big gulp. Another strategy I find particularly helpful when I’m trying to lose weight and control what I eat is a raw food diet. Now, some of you may think that man discovered fire for a reason, but cooking denatures food and makes it hard to digest and be utilized efficiently by your body. Go to a sushi restaurant, eat salads, and cut up some carrots. You don’t have to go completely raw but you will be surprised how full you feel, because your body is actually digesting the food you’re eating. Good luck and remember to give yourself a treat every once in a while.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...