Healthy Cane: Great diet foods

Q. I’m trying to lose weight but I can’t stop myself from eating. Are there any foods that I can eat that will help me lose weight?

A. All of us, at one time or another, want to lose weight, and we all come to the same conclusion: We like food and don’t want to give it up! Well, you’re in luck because there are a few foods that have the magic ability to actually speed up our metabolisms if they are eaten frequently and in moderation. Some of these fine-tasting foods are pomegranates, whole grains like millet, nutrient-rich asparagus, pine nuts and green tea. Eating small meals frequently throughout the day also helps. Make sure you chew slowly and enjoy your food, as opposed to scarfing it down with a big gulp. Another strategy I find particularly helpful when I’m trying to lose weight and control what I eat is a raw food diet. Now, some of you may think that man discovered fire for a reason, but cooking denatures food and makes it hard to digest and be utilized efficiently by your body. Go to a sushi restaurant, eat salads, and cut up some carrots. You don’t have to go completely raw but you will be surprised how full you feel, because your body is actually digesting the food you’re eating. Good luck and remember to give yourself a treat every once in a while.

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Emily Becker is part of a dream team of scientists that will present it ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its fourth top-15 opponent in a six-game, 18-day span ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

Miami women's basketball returns to the Watsco Center on Thursday. ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...

Miami Athletics officially dedicated the Boich Family Scoreboard at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Sa ...