Correction: UM prof did not question Earth’s age

The brief published in last Monday’s issue of The Miami Hurricane entitled “UM prof questions Earth’s age” was inaccurately titled; Peter Swart, professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, did not question the Earth’s age whatsoever.

“I can’t understand where this idea came from,” said Swart, author of the original article which describes his findings in the prestigious journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. “[My] article does not even address the earth’s age.”

Swart’s article did, in fact, question whether the amount of organic carbon buried in the Earth’s sedimentary record is accurately recorded by the ratio of the two stable isotopes of carbon, carbon-13 and carbon 12. This has implications for the reconstruction of the history of carbon dioxide throughout the Earth’s history.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...