Correction: UM prof did not question Earth’s age

The brief published in last Monday’s issue of The Miami Hurricane entitled “UM prof questions Earth’s age” was inaccurately titled; Peter Swart, professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, did not question the Earth’s age whatsoever.

“I can’t understand where this idea came from,” said Swart, author of the original article which describes his findings in the prestigious journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. “[My] article does not even address the earth’s age.”

Swart’s article did, in fact, question whether the amount of organic carbon buried in the Earth’s sedimentary record is accurately recorded by the ratio of the two stable isotopes of carbon, carbon-13 and carbon 12. This has implications for the reconstruction of the history of carbon dioxide throughout the Earth’s history.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...