Volleyball

Yet another ace for Canes volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-0) has come out of the gate on a roll. The team recorded its 10th straight win to start the season and won its third non-conference tournament in as many weeks.

The squad is off to its second-best start ever after defeating Villanova, Sacramento State and the University of San Francisco in the Asics/Coca-Cola Invitational in San Francisco, Calif.

Junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew continued her dominating season as she captured her second tournament MVP award of the season.

Sophomore sensation Katie Gallagher and redshirt sophomore middle blocker Lici McGee were named to the All-Tournament team.

The Hurricanes have looked dominant this season, and they have not gotten flustered or rattled when facing adversity.

Miami has swept six of its first 10 opponents.

The Canes have dropped the first set only three times this year, but they have persevered and come back to win each of those matches. Last year the Hurricanes won just three times all season after dropping the first set.

The weekend started Friday night against the Villanova Wildcats in War Memorial Gym. After dropping the first set, 25-21, Genny Mayhew put the team on her back and carried the Canes to a four set victory. She led all players with 19 kills, while senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis had 10 kills on the night, five coming in the crucial second set.

UM stung the Sacramento Sate University Hornets for the second time this season on Saturday. Miami swept the Hornets as they cruised to victory. The key to the match was the kill percentage. The Hornets hit .094 as a team, while Miami hit .323 as a team. Unforced errors were also a determining factor, as the Hurricanes had only 10 throughout the entire match, while the Hornets had 10 in the first set alone and 21 overall.

The win against the Hornets was a total team effort as not one Hurricane registered double digits in kills, but six different players had at least five kills. Junior libero and northern California native Cassie Loessberg had a match-high 18 digs, while freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was right behind her with 14.

UM has now defeated Sacramento State, a team that went to the NCAA tournament last year, twice this year. Miami previously swept Sacramento State in the season opener at the CenturyTel Premier Tournament.

The Canes’ third and final match, against the San Francisco State Dons, was as thrilling as a volleyball match gets. For the first time in all season the Canes were forced to play a decisive fifth set.

Miami never once had the lead in the first set, as the Dons never looked back after getting out to a fast 10-2 start, crushing the Canes 25-11.

The second set was a different story with a much different result. With the score tied at two, UM scored six unanswered points, ultimately defeating the Dons by that margin, 25-19. Miami committed only one error in the set compared to the Dons’ eight.

In the third set, Lici McGee led the way with four kills as the Hurricanes won 25-17.

After the Hurricanes dropped the fourth set 25-21, the match turned to a decisive fifth set.

USF jumped out of the gate to lead, 5-1. UM kept their poise, remained confident and finished the set on a 14-6 run to defeat San Francisco, 15-11.

The Hurricanes will look to build on their success when they open up conference play on Friday at the Knights Sports Complex, as they host in-state rival Florida State University at 7 p.m.

Justin Antweil

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...