UM community remembers 9/11 with candlelight vigil

Photo by Tori Kichler // Hurricane Staff

Students gathered in the University Center Lower Lounge on Thursday night to remember and honor the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks. Organized by the Department of Student Affairs, the “9-11-01 We Remember Candlelight Vigil” has been held annually every year since the day that now lives in history.

Guest speakers focused on the importance of remembering our fallen citizens, the tragic loss of life and the value of freedom and peace.

“Seven years ago today, we all remember where we were and what we were doing when we found out,” said Student Government president Brandon Gross to over 200 students, faculty and staff in attendance. “We always will remember, and we always should remember.”

Evelina Galang, associate professor in the Department of English, delivered an emotional essay reflecting her thoughts and experiences.

“Since 9/11, I have been trying not to take people for granted,” she said. “It was not easy, but it was my lesson to learn.”

Galang encouraged everybody present to try to learn from the attacks.

“What can you, in your own personal way, do to make sure the lives lost that day were not lost in vain?” she said.

Also speaking was Chaplain Joe Lortie, who delivered a prayer for all those who lost their lives in the attacks and for the soldiers who are now fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan and worldwide. Chaplain Lortie also prayed for peace.

Towards the end of the service, H. Bert Gonzalez, from the office of city commissioner Marc Sarnoff, presented a plaque to Student Affairs on behalf of the City of Miami. The commendation recognizes the department and the university for upholding their tradition of honoring the victims of Sept. 11 every year.

Following a dramatic video presentation produced by Nathalia Gillot, a professor at Miami-Dade College, and a few concluding words by Gross, candles lit up one by one around the room as students quietly filtered out.

“No matter how many years go by, it’s always so sad to relive the moment,” senior Scott Joseph said.

Sophomore Emmanuel Berchmans is glad that the university maintains its tradition of holding this annual memorial service.

“It’s good to see that we’re remembering what we felt after that moment,” he said. “We should continue that spirit and carry on that memory not just today, but every day of the year.”

Matt Stark

Contributing Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...