Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Response to Mr. Heacock

In response to Mr. Heacock:

I find it nothing short of hilarious that Mr. Heacock would proclaim himself a patriot and then openly boast of his own complacency with the very things he admonishes. He spends an entire article whining about what he perceives to be wrong with the country, then calls for others to do as he does and sit on his hands when the chance to change it arises?

I think Thomas Jefferson might have had more than words with you, sir.

Oh, but I must say, my favorite part of your rhetoric rant was, and I quote, “Exactly what will Obama bring? More socialism? More wars? Less freedom? Sounds like more of the same to me.”

Obviously your high school English teacher failed you, so I will enlighten: Real writers use sources. Where did you happen to pull those from? More socialism, wars, and less freedom? Did you suffer an aneurysm while writing that piece? I wouldn’t be surprised if you did; reading it almost gave me one.

So yes, good readers, the lesson here is this: If you see something wrong, don’t do anything about it. Convince yourself there is nothing you can do about it, and wander about in a state of complete apathy while at the same time professing that you are aware of it. With that I pose this: Is there a more vulgar violation of liberty than failing to utilize it?

Granted, the political system is anything but ideal. I would be hard pressed to be convinced otherwise. But if spouting random, incoherent statements about a candidate seeking to represent you and then calling for a boycott of the very system this country was founded on is the solution, I’ll keep my tinfoil hat on, thank you.

Trust me, Mr. Heacock: stick to finance.

– Paul Petrequin, first year law student

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...