Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Response to Mr. Heacock

In response to Mr. Heacock:

I find it nothing short of hilarious that Mr. Heacock would proclaim himself a patriot and then openly boast of his own complacency with the very things he admonishes. He spends an entire article whining about what he perceives to be wrong with the country, then calls for others to do as he does and sit on his hands when the chance to change it arises?

I think Thomas Jefferson might have had more than words with you, sir.

Oh, but I must say, my favorite part of your rhetoric rant was, and I quote, “Exactly what will Obama bring? More socialism? More wars? Less freedom? Sounds like more of the same to me.”

Obviously your high school English teacher failed you, so I will enlighten: Real writers use sources. Where did you happen to pull those from? More socialism, wars, and less freedom? Did you suffer an aneurysm while writing that piece? I wouldn’t be surprised if you did; reading it almost gave me one.

So yes, good readers, the lesson here is this: If you see something wrong, don’t do anything about it. Convince yourself there is nothing you can do about it, and wander about in a state of complete apathy while at the same time professing that you are aware of it. With that I pose this: Is there a more vulgar violation of liberty than failing to utilize it?

Granted, the political system is anything but ideal. I would be hard pressed to be convinced otherwise. But if spouting random, incoherent statements about a candidate seeking to represent you and then calling for a boycott of the very system this country was founded on is the solution, I’ll keep my tinfoil hat on, thank you.

Trust me, Mr. Heacock: stick to finance.

– Paul Petrequin, first year law student

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...