Film Review: Burn After Reading

The Coen Brothers’ new film Burn After Reading unleashes a pack of morons and relishes in their bone-headed choices.

Osborn Cox (John Malkovich), a CIA operative, has his personal records end up in the hands of two gym employees (Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt). Along the way, two adulterers (George Clooney and Tilda Swinton) get mixed in.

The story is nonsense set against a spy-crime backdrop. Double-crossings, backdoor dealings, and general chaos ensue. It’s self-aware silliness played for laughs, stemming from the collective obtuseness of the cast.

All of which would be admissible if it were funny. There are barely enough laughs to stitch together the mayhem. Characters are either wasted (Swinton is relegated to a paper-thin plot device) or uninteresting – Clooney is stiff and boring. Also, scenes are peppered with dull insights into the characters’ idiosyncrasies.

Only when Pitt or Malkovich is on screen does the absurdity becomes humorous. Pitt, in particular, plays the clown expertly. His character’s absolute naïvete forces the audience’s affection, even if watching him try to scheme is like watching a mouse wiggle through a maze.

But silliness without laughs can be just plain dumb. Too often, the movie itself feels as empty as the characters’ heads.

Rating: 2 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...