Film Review: Burn After Reading

The Coen Brothers’ new film Burn After Reading unleashes a pack of morons and relishes in their bone-headed choices.

Osborn Cox (John Malkovich), a CIA operative, has his personal records end up in the hands of two gym employees (Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt). Along the way, two adulterers (George Clooney and Tilda Swinton) get mixed in.

The story is nonsense set against a spy-crime backdrop. Double-crossings, backdoor dealings, and general chaos ensue. It’s self-aware silliness played for laughs, stemming from the collective obtuseness of the cast.

All of which would be admissible if it were funny. There are barely enough laughs to stitch together the mayhem. Characters are either wasted (Swinton is relegated to a paper-thin plot device) or uninteresting – Clooney is stiff and boring. Also, scenes are peppered with dull insights into the characters’ idiosyncrasies.

Only when Pitt or Malkovich is on screen does the absurdity becomes humorous. Pitt, in particular, plays the clown expertly. His character’s absolute naïvete forces the audience’s affection, even if watching him try to scheme is like watching a mouse wiggle through a maze.

But silliness without laughs can be just plain dumb. Too often, the movie itself feels as empty as the characters’ heads.

Rating: 2 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...