Film Review: Burn After Reading

The Coen Brothers’ new film Burn After Reading unleashes a pack of morons and relishes in their bone-headed choices.

Osborn Cox (John Malkovich), a CIA operative, has his personal records end up in the hands of two gym employees (Frances McDormand and Brad Pitt). Along the way, two adulterers (George Clooney and Tilda Swinton) get mixed in.

The story is nonsense set against a spy-crime backdrop. Double-crossings, backdoor dealings, and general chaos ensue. It’s self-aware silliness played for laughs, stemming from the collective obtuseness of the cast.

All of which would be admissible if it were funny. There are barely enough laughs to stitch together the mayhem. Characters are either wasted (Swinton is relegated to a paper-thin plot device) or uninteresting – Clooney is stiff and boring. Also, scenes are peppered with dull insights into the characters’ idiosyncrasies.

Only when Pitt or Malkovich is on screen does the absurdity becomes humorous. Pitt, in particular, plays the clown expertly. His character’s absolute naïvete forces the audience’s affection, even if watching him try to scheme is like watching a mouse wiggle through a maze.

But silliness without laughs can be just plain dumb. Too often, the movie itself feels as empty as the characters’ heads.

Rating: 2 out of 4 stars

Gabe Habash

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...