Hurriqueen: Different year, different perspective

Yeah, I pulled a Jay-Z. Or as some would say, a Cher. Whatever, you get the point. The bottom line is this bitch is back. Why, you ask? Over the summer, I was inspired by seeing the most chronicled rebirth of all time. I’m talking about Britney Spears. Watching my favorite icon take steps toward recovery, which culminated in her fabulous appearance at this year’s VMAs, I started to think that maybe I could do it too.

Like any diva considering a return, I was forced to reflect on my previous year’s work. I felt the old Hurriqueen columns were entertaining and helpful to those who asked those… um, controversial questions. However, I wondered, did the advice really help the University of Miami community as a whole?

I became consumed even during my leisure time. Lounging on the beach, knowing that whatever important advice I did give last year was overshadowed by the trashy stuff, I couldn’t even focus on tanning. I began to mourn the column and the opportunity it gave me to contribute to our community in a positive way. I regretted how all too often the forum was used to talk about sex, the least exclusive and most hyped act in all of history. So I wrote the editor of this publication, asking if I could revive my column and use it to address the juicy yet more complex stuff at the U. Thankfully, he liked the idea of a column with more substance than shock value.

But ladies and gents, I can’t reinvent this column alone; I need your help. Therefore, please don’t tempt me with your dirty predicaments this year! I want to answer serious and stimulating questions about UM-related topics and newsworthy issues that affect all of us Canes. I’m thinking more along the lines of “How do I deal with an influential professor who breaks university policies and harms my GPA?” (Interesting!) than “Why did I sleep with him?” (Boring!). Let’s not be afraid to ask questions about the inner workings of Student Government, Greek life scandals, or questionable university policies – anything that can help us understand and improve our community.

This year, I will continue my tradition of researching the best answers to your questions, but will also incorporate advice from insiders – Hurricanes in-the-know, successful seniors, and maybe a few of UM’s wise and experienced administrators. This way, the “Hurriqueen” column will be your means of getting answers to the important questions you’d only ask anonymously.

I look forward to tackling all of the topics we’ve yet to discuss… as soon as you log on to TheMiamiHurricane.com to ask a good question. Or you could be a lamb and shoot me an e-mail: hurriqueen@themiamihurricane.com.

To the fans of last year’s column: Although the direction of this column has changed, I promise to continue being fierce and frank. To those who hated it: Let’s start over. You know you want to.

XOXO,

The Hurriqueen

The Hurriqueen

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...