CD Review: Young Jeezy – The Recession

The ball is still bouncing in Young Jeezy’s court as he dropped his third studio album, The Recession. Jeezy took a completely different approach with The Recession compared to his first two albums, Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. The Recession focuses more on the economy and the decline of society, but Jeezy is still able to throw in his hustler tracks on the album.

The album starts with an aural collage of some 2008 news reports concerning America going broke and being in a recession. Jeezy enters with his trademark raspy southern voice, preaching about the drought the nation is going through.

As you press next, Jeezy gets your blood boiling with “Welcome Back” and follows it up with a clever hook in “By the Way.”

“Circulate” is a perfect track in which Jeezy raps about the economy, stating that “nothing going up but the rent.”
Jeezy carries a savvy attitude in “What They Want” and brings a smooth harmony to “Everything” with buttery-smooth Anthony Hamilton and Lil’ Boosie.

In his second single “Vacation,” Jeezy stresses that he needs a vacation, relating to the average Joe. And yes, Jeezy drops classical beats on this album, but not as many as he did on Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. “Amazin,” “Who Dat,” “Get Allot” and his first single “Put On” are a few of these.

Jeezy even gives his attention to politics and shows his support for presidential candidate Barack Obama, as in “Crazy World” and “My President,” with special guest Nas.

This is by far the best lyrical album Young Jeezy has put out. Young Jeezy proved with The Recession that he is one of the elite rappers in the south and, more importantly, the nation.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Lelan LeDoux

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...