CD Review: Young Jeezy – The Recession

The ball is still bouncing in Young Jeezy’s court as he dropped his third studio album, The Recession. Jeezy took a completely different approach with The Recession compared to his first two albums, Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. The Recession focuses more on the economy and the decline of society, but Jeezy is still able to throw in his hustler tracks on the album.

The album starts with an aural collage of some 2008 news reports concerning America going broke and being in a recession. Jeezy enters with his trademark raspy southern voice, preaching about the drought the nation is going through.

As you press next, Jeezy gets your blood boiling with “Welcome Back” and follows it up with a clever hook in “By the Way.”

“Circulate” is a perfect track in which Jeezy raps about the economy, stating that “nothing going up but the rent.”
Jeezy carries a savvy attitude in “What They Want” and brings a smooth harmony to “Everything” with buttery-smooth Anthony Hamilton and Lil’ Boosie.

In his second single “Vacation,” Jeezy stresses that he needs a vacation, relating to the average Joe. And yes, Jeezy drops classical beats on this album, but not as many as he did on Thug Motivation 101 and The Inspiration. “Amazin,” “Who Dat,” “Get Allot” and his first single “Put On” are a few of these.

Jeezy even gives his attention to politics and shows his support for presidential candidate Barack Obama, as in “Crazy World” and “My President,” with special guest Nas.

This is by far the best lyrical album Young Jeezy has put out. Young Jeezy proved with The Recession that he is one of the elite rappers in the south and, more importantly, the nation.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Lelan LeDoux

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...