Soccer

Canes soccer storms past Boilermakers 2-0

Things went much in the same way they have all season for the University of Miami women’s soccer team Wednesday night.

After returning from its first road trip with two wins and two shutouts, the Hurricanes defeated Purdue 2-0 at Cobb Stadium for a program-best sixth straight victory.

ACC Freshman of the Week, goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo, recorded her fifth shutout in six games, while sophomore forward Brittney Steinbruch scored both goals.

“It’s an honor to set a record, especially with this team,” Alonzo said. “We played amazing and we came together as a team at the end.”

In a physical game where both teams got called for nine fouls, Miami (6-0-0) controlled possession for most of the first half and took the lead in the 22nd minute, when Steinbruch cut through the defense for her team-leading eighth goal.

With a two-goal cushion in the second half thanks to Steinbruch’s second blast in the 59th minute, the Boilermakers (3-2-1), who were at one time ranked eighth nationally last season, applied pressure with more players attacking on offense, but failed to find the back of the net.

“I think for the most part it was us defending,” Steinbruch said. “For me, just to be up top with the girls in back there working so hard, you know that the goals will come.”

Earlier in the week, Purdue’s newspaper, The Exponent, published an article entitled “Boilers anticipating facing unproved Hurricanes,” in which head coach Rob Klatte implied that the undefeated Canes had faced sub-par competition so far this season.

“Something you have to realize about our team is that we have a lot of pride,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “We are a very close group and we take things personal. It’s our field, our home and that’s what we hold onto. We got a hold of a paper and it was a little motivating.”

The 26th-ranked team in the nation takes the field again at 7 p.m. Friday night to host Eastern Michigan (2-1-2).

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...