The lesser of two evils is still evil

If, as Laura Edwins hopes (The Battle for America), Barack Obama and his ideas are “the future of America” then I am deeply worried about our already bleak prospects. No, I am not just some dumb, racist redneck, nor am I afraid to embrace the messiah’s empty gospel of hope and change I am told I can, but refuse to, believe in. I am simply an American patriot who scoffs at the idea of someone telling me how to live my life and spend my hard earned though increasingly worthless money. 

The government already infects virtually every aspect of our lives so, tell me, which part of Obama’s platform is truly a change from ever increasing government power? How is this change when I will lose yet more freedoms and the completely unproductive and parasitic part of our crumbling economy will take yet more of my wealth to squander on its bloated welfare-warfare state? 

What has happened to this land which spawned such heroic defenders of liberty as Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and H.L. Mencken? There are so many dead bodies rolling in their graves, the tremors make your head spin if you dare think about how badly we messed up this country. The depredations and abuses committed daily by our massive government would make George III blush. 

Exactly what change will Obama bring? More socialism? More wars? Less freedom? Sounds like more of the same to me. Real change would be just the opposite: drastically slash government spending and taxes, remove troops from all foreign lands, deregulate the economy, and end the inflationary fiat monetary regime. Of course, the two parties squabble over petty wedge issues to delude the American people, but their game is in plain view for anyone who cares to look.  

Americans are either masochistic to put up with such outrageous violations of liberty, or maybe we have just become stupid from sitting in government schools for 12 years, losing the essential ability to question those in power and think for ourselves. Either way, the future of freedom in America appears dark indeed and perhaps we need a large dose of destructive socialism to get our pathetic minds to realize we’ve all been had by the false promises of lying and hypocritical demagogues. 

It’s actually kind of funny in a sadistic way, watching the circus that is American politics, where professional liars are raised to levels gods could only hope to occupy, where gullible voters are presented a false choice between two equally vile human beings who lust for absolute power over others. So I urge all to join me on Nov. 4 as I watch the sadly laughable spectacle from the sidelines, not casting my vote for either fraud while America inevitably ushers in no change, but merely slaps a new face on the status quo.

Timothy Heacock

Staff Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...