Football

Stein: What’s a football coach to do during a bye week?

TAKING A TIME OUT: Randy Shannon ponders his next move while on the sidelines during the Charleston Southern game earlier this season. Photo by Steve Root // Hurricane Staff.

What exactly do coaches do during a bye week?

Obviously there is always opponent game film to break down and recruiting calls to be made. 

However, recruiting cannot be the main focus during a season or even an off week. It is certainly omnipresent, but players have classes and practice, and coaches have their work days. Game film study usually follows a pattern, and the pattern usually takes place over an entire week. 

The coaches will use the extra week to become ultra prepared for Texas A&M and probably to do some advance scouting, but I imagine there will probably be some time left over if the staff is efficient (and I say this staff is). 

Here are some of the key objectives I think the coaching staff will be zeroing into during the bye week.

1. They will be working on offensive timing. I did not have a huge problem with the offensive play calling against UF like every Monday morning quarterback on this campus did. The offense is based on timing and play action. The timing was disrupted by bad routes and drops. The play action was crippled by the running game. Receivers were not coming off of their screens quick enough and, as a result, were in position a fraction of a second too late. This led to drops and the inability to sustain drives. The way to fix these problems? Repetition – and possibly a cutback in the number of receivers used. I understand that no one has separated themselves as a go-to guy, but it might be time for head coach Randy Shannon to use a core group of six or seven receivers.

2. They will be working on staying aggressive and hungry on defense. The defense was great against the Gators. If they play like that the rest of the season, they should be able to lead the team into the ACC championship game. However, that is a big if. Bill Young needs to make sure his players do not get lazy and keep implementing new blitz packages.

3. They will be looking to keep serving the youth. Several youngsters had big impacts against Florida. The staff wants to keep working them in. Look for Jordan Futch to be amongst the next group to get worked in.

4. They will look to find a replacement for Baby J. Javarris James looked pretty dinged up. Don’t be surprised to see Damien Berry start receiving more carries in the “Big Back” role that James usually fills.

Texas A&M is a tough place to play. They are struggling, but they will be looking to take out their frustrations on someone. Any letdown will result in an embarrassment. 

Look for the coaches to work even harder than usual during the off week and make sure the players are ready for another battle in two weeks. This list alone should keep them busy.

Dan Stein

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...