Our Opinion: Printing Pains

Last year our lovely university decided to jump on the bandwagon with yet another environmentally conscious program. UPrint has swept across the world, from Illinois State University to the University of Manchester, England, with tremendous force.  

If you can recall back to last year, our UPrint service was free of charge. It was a test run for what was to come. This year, though, tuition has gone up and printing now costs money! What is that about? Whether it’s 10 cents to print or a single penny, the student population sees this as a travesty.

The concept is excellent, but the implementation by the UM administration is just short of terrible. Students are confused are about why they are being charged, how much they are being charged, and some don’t even know how to use it. What if you print 20 pages when you mean to print two? It seems a little unfair. There should be some type of online training session through MyUM. That would clear up a lot of controversy.  

But with the bad, there is some good. Paper is certainly spared with this innovative concept and there is no more waiting in line to print. Remember the days of waiting behind the biochem major printing out 350 pages of notes… not any more. Those biochem majors might have to go find new methods of facilitating their printing needs. Imagine spending $25 every time you needed to print out notes – fun fun.

So although you may be infuriated by the sadistic pleasure the administration takes in getting every penny they can get their hands on, enjoy the pleasure of printing on your own time. And please, print responsibly.

Editorial Board

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...