Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: The Miami Hurricane is a rag

The Miami Hurricane is a rag. I always start with the opinion section. If I can stomach that, I move on to features. I rarely make it that far. 

Every issue I have to remind myself you don’t cover real news. This newspaper is about student interests and activities. Which apparently means it is about students who are incapable of reminding their suitemates to lock the door and students who write alliterations like they are Dr. Seuss (“a clamorous cluster of Canes,” pg. 4, and “nightlife know-how,” pg. 9). Do I need to get my English professor from freshman year to tell you how stupid that sounds in news article? Really? Maybe I’ve paid too much attention to Strunk and White, but I don’t think “When everything was all said and done, and when people will look back at this game…” is an appropriate way to start anything (pg. 11). I could keep going on style, but I hope you’ve gotten the point.

The content is a totally different offense. Felipe Yanez should pick a new major. All CNN reporters are either smart or attractive, and he is neither. Last semester there was the opinion piece that explored the true meaning of “how are you?” I thought editorials could not get any stupider. Then there was Yanez who was given a whole page to insult Kappa Sigs, African Americans, white people who want to be black, people who play Magic the Gathering, and me. Great first impression, Mr. Yanez. 

The Republican National Convention closed on Thursday. Great job taking notice. Student voters have the potential to change what happens in this election more than almost any other demographic. There were over 50 students at the UM Young Democrats meeting tonight. They could all tell you how directly this election affects us. There are like five hurricanes coming our way (pretty sure those matter to students). I wouldn’t even mind a lifestyle piece on Buttercream Cupcakes and Coffee or other local eateries. 

Please learn how to write. Thanks.

–Sara Phillips
Senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...