Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: The Miami Hurricane is a rag

The Miami Hurricane is a rag. I always start with the opinion section. If I can stomach that, I move on to features. I rarely make it that far. 

Every issue I have to remind myself you don’t cover real news. This newspaper is about student interests and activities. Which apparently means it is about students who are incapable of reminding their suitemates to lock the door and students who write alliterations like they are Dr. Seuss (“a clamorous cluster of Canes,” pg. 4, and “nightlife know-how,” pg. 9). Do I need to get my English professor from freshman year to tell you how stupid that sounds in news article? Really? Maybe I’ve paid too much attention to Strunk and White, but I don’t think “When everything was all said and done, and when people will look back at this game…” is an appropriate way to start anything (pg. 11). I could keep going on style, but I hope you’ve gotten the point.

The content is a totally different offense. Felipe Yanez should pick a new major. All CNN reporters are either smart or attractive, and he is neither. Last semester there was the opinion piece that explored the true meaning of “how are you?” I thought editorials could not get any stupider. Then there was Yanez who was given a whole page to insult Kappa Sigs, African Americans, white people who want to be black, people who play Magic the Gathering, and me. Great first impression, Mr. Yanez. 

The Republican National Convention closed on Thursday. Great job taking notice. Student voters have the potential to change what happens in this election more than almost any other demographic. There were over 50 students at the UM Young Democrats meeting tonight. They could all tell you how directly this election affects us. There are like five hurricanes coming our way (pretty sure those matter to students). I wouldn’t even mind a lifestyle piece on Buttercream Cupcakes and Coffee or other local eateries. 

Please learn how to write. Thanks.

–Sara Phillips
Senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...