Law and medical schools ranked high for Hispanic students

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine and the School of Law are ranked in the top 10 in the country for Hispanic students. 

According to the 2008 Diversity Report in the September issue of Hispanic Business magazine, the Miller School is one of the best medical schools in the country for Hispanic students for the third year in a row. The law school was ranked eighth.

“We are proud to be in the top ranks of medical schools for Hispanic students and to have our commitment to diversity recognized in this way,” said senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Pascal Goldschmidt. 

In the law school, one third of students are minorities and almost half of them speak one or more foreign languages. Many graduates have gone on to be prominent lawyers in Miami’s Latin community. 

“We are very pleased that the University of Miami School of Law is once again included in the top 10 ranking by Hispanic Business magazine,” said Paul Verkuil, dean of the School of Law. “This speaks to our continued dedication to fostering diversity in legal education and the legal profession today.”

Rankings for the 2008 Best Schools for Hispanics report are based on questionnaires sent in by the schools, enrollment, the percentage of Hispanic faculty, the number of programs that recruit Hispanic students, retention rates and student services.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...