Law and medical schools ranked high for Hispanic students

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine and the School of Law are ranked in the top 10 in the country for Hispanic students. 

According to the 2008 Diversity Report in the September issue of Hispanic Business magazine, the Miller School is one of the best medical schools in the country for Hispanic students for the third year in a row. The law school was ranked eighth.

“We are proud to be in the top ranks of medical schools for Hispanic students and to have our commitment to diversity recognized in this way,” said senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Pascal Goldschmidt. 

In the law school, one third of students are minorities and almost half of them speak one or more foreign languages. Many graduates have gone on to be prominent lawyers in Miami’s Latin community. 

“We are very pleased that the University of Miami School of Law is once again included in the top 10 ranking by Hispanic Business magazine,” said Paul Verkuil, dean of the School of Law. “This speaks to our continued dedication to fostering diversity in legal education and the legal profession today.”

Rankings for the 2008 Best Schools for Hispanics report are based on questionnaires sent in by the schools, enrollment, the percentage of Hispanic faculty, the number of programs that recruit Hispanic students, retention rates and student services.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...