Law and medical schools ranked high for Hispanic students

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine and the School of Law are ranked in the top 10 in the country for Hispanic students. 

According to the 2008 Diversity Report in the September issue of Hispanic Business magazine, the Miller School is one of the best medical schools in the country for Hispanic students for the third year in a row. The law school was ranked eighth.

“We are proud to be in the top ranks of medical schools for Hispanic students and to have our commitment to diversity recognized in this way,” said senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Pascal Goldschmidt. 

In the law school, one third of students are minorities and almost half of them speak one or more foreign languages. Many graduates have gone on to be prominent lawyers in Miami’s Latin community. 

“We are very pleased that the University of Miami School of Law is once again included in the top 10 ranking by Hispanic Business magazine,” said Paul Verkuil, dean of the School of Law. “This speaks to our continued dedication to fostering diversity in legal education and the legal profession today.”

Rankings for the 2008 Best Schools for Hispanics report are based on questionnaires sent in by the schools, enrollment, the percentage of Hispanic faculty, the number of programs that recruit Hispanic students, retention rates and student services.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...