Law and medical schools ranked high for Hispanic students

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine and the School of Law are ranked in the top 10 in the country for Hispanic students. 

According to the 2008 Diversity Report in the September issue of Hispanic Business magazine, the Miller School is one of the best medical schools in the country for Hispanic students for the third year in a row. The law school was ranked eighth.

“We are proud to be in the top ranks of medical schools for Hispanic students and to have our commitment to diversity recognized in this way,” said senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Pascal Goldschmidt. 

In the law school, one third of students are minorities and almost half of them speak one or more foreign languages. Many graduates have gone on to be prominent lawyers in Miami’s Latin community. 

“We are very pleased that the University of Miami School of Law is once again included in the top 10 ranking by Hispanic Business magazine,” said Paul Verkuil, dean of the School of Law. “This speaks to our continued dedication to fostering diversity in legal education and the legal profession today.”

Rankings for the 2008 Best Schools for Hispanics report are based on questionnaires sent in by the schools, enrollment, the percentage of Hispanic faculty, the number of programs that recruit Hispanic students, retention rates and student services.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...