Law and medical schools ranked high for Hispanic students

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine and the School of Law are ranked in the top 10 in the country for Hispanic students. 

According to the 2008 Diversity Report in the September issue of Hispanic Business magazine, the Miller School is one of the best medical schools in the country for Hispanic students for the third year in a row. The law school was ranked eighth.

“We are proud to be in the top ranks of medical schools for Hispanic students and to have our commitment to diversity recognized in this way,” said senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Miller School of Medicine, Pascal Goldschmidt. 

In the law school, one third of students are minorities and almost half of them speak one or more foreign languages. Many graduates have gone on to be prominent lawyers in Miami’s Latin community. 

“We are very pleased that the University of Miami School of Law is once again included in the top 10 ranking by Hispanic Business magazine,” said Paul Verkuil, dean of the School of Law. “This speaks to our continued dedication to fostering diversity in legal education and the legal profession today.”

Rankings for the 2008 Best Schools for Hispanics report are based on questionnaires sent in by the schools, enrollment, the percentage of Hispanic faculty, the number of programs that recruit Hispanic students, retention rates and student services.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...