Curbing blackberry addiction; using color therapy to de-stress

Q.

I’m addicted to my Blackberry. Give me some tips to regain my sanity and become an active contributor to society again.

A.

STOP! Put the Crackberry down and back away! Wait a minute; I’m the one writing this column on mine right now. The first thing you want to do to wean yourself off of this silly convenient thing is to put it away for a few hours. Now I know this may be difficult, especially if it is usually superglued to your hand, but try to go to your classes without it. Trust me, the world will not end if you don’t have it for a few hours and you may even have some fun surprises waiting for you when you get back to it. I personally love finding out how much people love me by how many missed calls, texts and e-mails I have in my inbox after having left it alone for a while. Also, try to send letters once in a while. I refuse to send thank you’s to people on the Internet; it’s not very personal and it’s nice when someone gets an actual card in the mail. It also makes a good impression. Try going without your Crackberry for a weekend; don’t worry, people can wait for you to get back to them for a few days. However, if your Blackberry is also your phone, don’t forget to let your parents know that you’re going on the DL for a day or two. Just remember: Blackberries are great and convenient but are also a poor substitute for real human interaction.

Q.

What colors are known to boost mood?

A.

Personally, I love bright pink when I’m down, but any bright color will do the trick. Actually, a multitude of bright patterns are great mood boosters. Colors have different meanings in different cultures, but American children grow up with bright colors and sunny pictures and the effects of those colors on our psyche will continue to influence us as we grow older. This is because they are associated with good memories and positive feelings. Here are some colors to seek out and avoid depending on your mood.

Red: speeds up the body’s metabolism with passion and excitement 

Light red/pink: inspires romanticism, sexuality

Dark red: gives the impression of royalty and elegance

Yellow: makes one feel cheery

Lighter yellow: will make you feel laid-back and breezy, but dark yellows can overpower an image

Blue: the most calming color; light blue soothes while dark blue adds a look of dignity

Green:  evokes a peaceful feeling

Brighter green: stimulating and uplifting, while dark green is calm and quiet

Ashleyann Gosselin

Health Advice Columnist

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...