University Rathskeller lets students be at away game ‘in spirit’

FEELS LIKE HOME: Canes fans watch the UF game at the Rathskeller Saturday night. Many fans come to the Rat to watch away games. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

Students who are unable to attend this season’s away football games can feel as if they’re there “in spirit” at the University of Miami’s Rathskeller, students say. 

While Saturday’s UM football game took place in Gainesville, Fla., the Rat was jam-packed with a clamorous cluster of Canes who came to the on-campus restaurant to support their team from afar.

“The Rat is the next best place to watch the game because there are a lot of people here,” said Jacqueline Petro, a senior majoring in marine science. Petro added that for a rivalry game, she’d rather watch the game at the Rat than at an off-campus house party.

Sophomore Matt Levin, who was described by friends as the “biggest Canes fan ever,” said that although he usually goes to the Rat to watch football games, he believes the main reason why other students go there is for convenience purposes. Levin, however, has other reasons.

“Why do I come here? To see Miami kick ass,” Levin said.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...