University Rathskeller lets students be at away game ‘in spirit’

FEELS LIKE HOME: Canes fans watch the UF game at the Rathskeller Saturday night. Many fans come to the Rat to watch away games. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

Students who are unable to attend this season’s away football games can feel as if they’re there “in spirit” at the University of Miami’s Rathskeller, students say. 

While Saturday’s UM football game took place in Gainesville, Fla., the Rat was jam-packed with a clamorous cluster of Canes who came to the on-campus restaurant to support their team from afar.

“The Rat is the next best place to watch the game because there are a lot of people here,” said Jacqueline Petro, a senior majoring in marine science. Petro added that for a rivalry game, she’d rather watch the game at the Rat than at an off-campus house party.

Sophomore Matt Levin, who was described by friends as the “biggest Canes fan ever,” said that although he usually goes to the Rat to watch football games, he believes the main reason why other students go there is for convenience purposes. Levin, however, has other reasons.

“Why do I come here? To see Miami kick ass,” Levin said.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...