University Rathskeller lets students be at away game ‘in spirit’

FEELS LIKE HOME: Canes fans watch the UF game at the Rathskeller Saturday night. Many fans come to the Rat to watch away games. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

Students who are unable to attend this season’s away football games can feel as if they’re there “in spirit” at the University of Miami’s Rathskeller, students say. 

While Saturday’s UM football game took place in Gainesville, Fla., the Rat was jam-packed with a clamorous cluster of Canes who came to the on-campus restaurant to support their team from afar.

“The Rat is the next best place to watch the game because there are a lot of people here,” said Jacqueline Petro, a senior majoring in marine science. Petro added that for a rivalry game, she’d rather watch the game at the Rat than at an off-campus house party.

Sophomore Matt Levin, who was described by friends as the “biggest Canes fan ever,” said that although he usually goes to the Rat to watch football games, he believes the main reason why other students go there is for convenience purposes. Levin, however, has other reasons.

“Why do I come here? To see Miami kick ass,” Levin said.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...