University Rathskeller lets students be at away game ‘in spirit’

FEELS LIKE HOME: Canes fans watch the UF game at the Rathskeller Saturday night. Many fans come to the Rat to watch away games. CHELSEA MATIASH // Hurricane Staff

Students who are unable to attend this season’s away football games can feel as if they’re there “in spirit” at the University of Miami’s Rathskeller, students say. 

While Saturday’s UM football game took place in Gainesville, Fla., the Rat was jam-packed with a clamorous cluster of Canes who came to the on-campus restaurant to support their team from afar.

“The Rat is the next best place to watch the game because there are a lot of people here,” said Jacqueline Petro, a senior majoring in marine science. Petro added that for a rivalry game, she’d rather watch the game at the Rat than at an off-campus house party.

Sophomore Matt Levin, who was described by friends as the “biggest Canes fan ever,” said that although he usually goes to the Rat to watch football games, he believes the main reason why other students go there is for convenience purposes. Levin, however, has other reasons.

“Why do I come here? To see Miami kick ass,” Levin said.

Chelsea Kate Isaacs

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...