UM Student Health Center now open on Sundays

This year, University of Miami students who are sick on a Sunday will have one less problem to worry about. The UM Student Health Center will now be open from noon to 4 p.m. every Sunday.

Previously, the center was open on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m, and on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Brandon Gross, now president of Student Government, pushed for the change last year when he was speaker of the Senate.

“I think it is beneficial to the students,” Gross said. “Before, people had to get sick during the week. If something happened on the weekend you had to wait until Monday to use the Health Center.”

Howard Anapol, director of Student Health Services, said the change was primarily due to this year’s policy prohibiting freshmen from having cars. Now, freshmen living on campus can receive health services on Sunday without having to drive.

The additional hours for this first semester were funded by reallocating money the Health Center currently holds. Continuation or expansion of this program will require additional resources.

Currently, the Health Center is planning to have one physician available on Sundays to meet the urgent needs of students.

Students that require routine care are encouraged to visit the center during  the week.

On Aug. 31, the first Sunday the Health Center was open, it was very busy despite the change not receiving large amounts of publicity, Anapol said.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...