UM Student Health Center now open on Sundays

This year, University of Miami students who are sick on a Sunday will have one less problem to worry about. The UM Student Health Center will now be open from noon to 4 p.m. every Sunday.

Previously, the center was open on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m, and on Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Brandon Gross, now president of Student Government, pushed for the change last year when he was speaker of the Senate.

“I think it is beneficial to the students,” Gross said. “Before, people had to get sick during the week. If something happened on the weekend you had to wait until Monday to use the Health Center.”

Howard Anapol, director of Student Health Services, said the change was primarily due to this year’s policy prohibiting freshmen from having cars. Now, freshmen living on campus can receive health services on Sunday without having to drive.

The additional hours for this first semester were funded by reallocating money the Health Center currently holds. Continuation or expansion of this program will require additional resources.

Currently, the Health Center is planning to have one physician available on Sundays to meet the urgent needs of students.

Students that require routine care are encouraged to visit the center during  the week.

On Aug. 31, the first Sunday the Health Center was open, it was very busy despite the change not receiving large amounts of publicity, Anapol said.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...