Rosenstiel School awarded $1.4 million, will use money for climate research

The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) now has $1.4 million more to work with. RSMAS plans to use the funds, an award from the National Science Foundation, to develop powerful supercomputers to analyze decades of detailed climate dynamics.

The university is also partnering with the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the Center for Ocean-Land-Atmospheric Studies and the University of California at Berkeley to build the foundation for the next generation of complex climate models.

“The project will bring together students in computer science and climate science to address problems in an interdisciplinary manner, thus creating a next generation of informed, computational scientists,” said Ben Kirtman, a professor of meteorology and physical oceanography.

Previously, scientists thought climate and weather were independent of each other. However, researchers are now finding evidence proving that weather actually has a great impact on climate, which is important for improving climate change projections and weather and climate predictions.

“Through our recently developed Center for Computational Science at the University of Miami, we are looking forward to creating an optimal environment where many of the theoretical aspects of the interactive ensembles can be tested,” Kirtman said.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...