Rosenstiel School awarded $1.4 million, will use money for climate research

The University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) now has $1.4 million more to work with. RSMAS plans to use the funds, an award from the National Science Foundation, to develop powerful supercomputers to analyze decades of detailed climate dynamics.

The university is also partnering with the National Center for Atmospheric Research, the Center for Ocean-Land-Atmospheric Studies and the University of California at Berkeley to build the foundation for the next generation of complex climate models.

“The project will bring together students in computer science and climate science to address problems in an interdisciplinary manner, thus creating a next generation of informed, computational scientists,” said Ben Kirtman, a professor of meteorology and physical oceanography.

Previously, scientists thought climate and weather were independent of each other. However, researchers are now finding evidence proving that weather actually has a great impact on climate, which is important for improving climate change projections and weather and climate predictions.

“Through our recently developed Center for Computational Science at the University of Miami, we are looking forward to creating an optimal environment where many of the theoretical aspects of the interactive ensembles can be tested,” Kirtman said.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...