Our Opinion: Always be ready for tropical weather

In case you’ve been dwelling under a rock for the past few days, Hurricane Ike, a serious Category 4 storm, is spinning just a few hundred miles away from our sunny shores. It looks like it’s preparing to crush Cuba, but what does that mean for Miami?

If you can recall three years ago (seniors, time to feel old), the trifecta of Katrina, Wilma, and Rita hit our campus with tremendous force. After the fact, the arboretum was trashed, debris littered our walkways and gas stations were backed up for hours. Whether you believe the forecast or just hope for some free days off of school, proper precautions should be taken when a hurricane is looming.  

During the aforementioned storms, the university took special precautions. Chartwells provided boxed meals and the dorms remained under lockdown. Whether you’re pissed off because you can’t leave your dorm room for that much-needed cigarette, or you just want to experience the storm first-hand, think about safety. Is it really worth it to get blown away? 

Currently, Ike is not supposed to hit South Florida directly, but we will surely get a heavy breeze or two. Go to Publix and stock up on the essentials. Bottled water, Ramen Noodles, extra towels for that leak in the ceiling, and gasoline should be the least of what you get. You might be spending a few days indoors, so buy a board game: Monopoly and Risk usually kill a few hours.  

Plan for the worst, hope for the best; that should be your mantra. Plan for leaky ceilings, broken windows and class cancellations and hope for… well, class cancellations. The university and the people who run it have been through this before, so don’t panic. Buckle in for whatever may come. Wherever you end up tomorrow night and whatever you end up doing, just be safe and smart. We’ll see you Thursday… hopefully.

Editorial Board

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...