CD Review: The Game – LAX

In 2006, rapper The Game released his second LP, The Doctor’s Advocate. Two years, one four-month trip to prison and countless struggles with estranged supporters Dr. Dre and 50 Cent later, The Game has dropped LAX. Like so many others, The Game has said this album would be his last, because he supposedly has nothing left to prove.

However, the album – a 19-track feature-heavy compilation – is definitely not a high note for The Game to leave off on.

The album starts with a prayer from rap’s new preacher, DMX, and just as soon as you can press next, The Game brings you the somber and boring “LAX Files.” A few skippable tracks later, Lil’ Wayne lends a T-Wayne singing feature to his West Coast cohort on “My Life.”

Ultimately, this album is marred by poor production and boring lyricism by The Game, save for a few tracks like “Dope Boys,” “Cali Sunshine” and “Angel.” On “Angel,” Game scores Kanye production and a Common feature for a cliché yet catchy ode to their leading lady – hip-hop.

In previous albums, listeners looked forward to an entire album of hearing The Game’s witty lyricism and knocking production picks – no matter how vulgar or hard it got – because they knew what to expect. But on LAX, The Game enlists so many features (there are only three solo songs!) that any message he was trying to get across gets far too diluted and commercialized.

If this truly is his last album, he better not expect to be mentioned in the same breath as Pac, Biggie and Jay-Z… or even Weezy Baby.

1 out of 4 stars

Sam Rotenberg

Contributing EDGE Writer

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...