CD Review: Solange – Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams

Using the past as a way to step out on her own, Solange Knowles’ new album Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams is built around the sounds and ideals of the ‘60s and ‘70s. The title song, “I Decided,” co-written and co-produced by Solange and the production duo The Neptunes takes a step away from their normal futuristic sounds for a stripped down piano-handclap-tambourine beat that focuses more on lyrical content than production.

As the only guest artist on the album, Bilal contributes both his vocals and songwriting talent to the song “Cosmic Journey,” an electronica-based duet about love. Solange also gives a direct dedication to one of her influences through “Ode to Marvin,” a rewritten, personalized version of Gaye’s 1971 classic “What’s Going On.”

Gracefully complementing the production, the subject matter of Sol-Angel ranges from falling in love, falling out of love, and the fragility of being in love, all in tracks co-written by Solange (except “T.O.N.Y.”). Unlike the majority of singers today, Solange relies more on balancing quality lyrical content and production than an album tainted with vocal gymnastics. Overall, Sol-Angel is a solid album that helps set Solange on a path unattached to B’s shadow.

3.5 out of 4 stars

Monica Page

Contributing EDGE Writer

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...