Volleyball

Canes volleyball holds court at home

SPIKED: Junior Genny Mahew goes up for a kill earlier this year. Miami swept their home invitational last weekend. FILE PHOTO

The University of Miami volleyball team is off to its best start since 2002, when the Hurricanes opened up the season 15-0. This weekend the Hurricanes improved to 7-0, defeating South Dakota State, Alabama and Virginia Commonwealth in the eighth annual Hurricane Invitational at the Knights Sports Complex. 

Sophomore sensation Katie Gallagher continued to orchestrate the offense, and for her efforts she was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player. Gallagher showed her tremendous athleticism and versatility by averaging over five kills, eight digs and just under 35 assists per match.

“With Katie, the sky is the limit,” head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “She is really coming into her own as a setter. She attacked very effectively. She drew some of the attention towards her and that made all the hitters really effective.”

Freshmen outside-hitter Lane Carico and middle blocker Ali Becker were named to the All-Tournament Team. Carico averaged just under 12 points per match. Her powerful hits were a major force during the tournament, as opponents were left unable to respond to her power plays. Becker provided a spark as she posted six or more kills in every match.

“Our freshmen have come in ready to play and ready to make a difference on the court,” Lantagne Welch said.

The Hurricanes opened up the tournament Thursday night against South Dakota State, a team that made the NCAA Tournament last year for the first time in school history. The Hurricanes swept the Jackrabbits 3-0 as junior outside hitter Genny Mayhew recorded her third double-double in kills and digs. Junior libero Cassie Loessberg chipped in with nine digs.

The Canes played a double header Saturday. On Saturday morning they faced Alabama. After dropping the opening set against the Crimson Tide, Miami battled back from adversity and won the next three sets to take the match 3-1. Last year the Hurricanes won just three times after dropping the first set. This year, the Canes capitalized on their first opportunity. 

The Canes capped off a terrific weekend by sweeping the Virginia Commonwealth University Rams 3-0 on Saturday evening. Carico led the way for the Hurricanes, tallying nine digs, nine kills and an impressive five service aces.

Miami has now swept five of their first seven opponents. The Hurricanes travel across the country to California to participate in the San Francisco Tournament beginning Friday. Four of the 13 players on the roster are from California and all are excited to go back to their roots.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...