University to remain open through Monday night, expects to open tomorrow as scheduled

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 1 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will remain open as scheduled for the forseeable future, according to the school’s Crisis Decision Team.

As Hurricane Ike continues to track southward towards Cuba and away from South Florida, the threat posed from the storm continues to diminish. The CDT will meet again tonight at 6:30 p.m. to discuss any changes to the forecast, but the participants of the meeting clearly stated that they expected the university to open tomorrow.

As of the most recent update from the National Hurricane Center (11 a.m.), Hurricane Ike is a category two storm with sustained winds at 100 miles per hour located approximately 350 miles south southeast of the University of Miami campus, moving west at 14 m.p.h. The Miami metro area is expected to receive some impact from the storm, but it’s unknown how much at this point.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...