University of Miami ‘business as usual’ Tuesday

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 7 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will open as scheduled Tuesday, the Crisis Decision Team decided this afternoon, as the threat from Hurricane Ike continues to decrease.

As of the 5 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Ike was a category one storm, loacaed approximately 300 miles south of the University of Miami. After crossing the island of Cuba, the storm only has sustained winds of 80 miles per hour, and is traveling towards the west at 14 m.p.h., with an expected northwestern turn towards the Gulf of Mexico coming within the next 24 hours.

While there is a threat of severe weather associated with the storm, the CDT has determined that as of 6:30 p.m. Monday, the threat is not severe enough to close the school. All classes and events are going ahead as planned.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...