University of Miami ‘business as usual’ Tuesday

Satellite Imagery of Hurricane Ike as of 7 p.m. Monday. NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER

The University of Miami will open as scheduled Tuesday, the Crisis Decision Team decided this afternoon, as the threat from Hurricane Ike continues to decrease.

As of the 5 p.m. advisory from the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Ike was a category one storm, loacaed approximately 300 miles south of the University of Miami. After crossing the island of Cuba, the storm only has sustained winds of 80 miles per hour, and is traveling towards the west at 14 m.p.h., with an expected northwestern turn towards the Gulf of Mexico coming within the next 24 hours.

While there is a threat of severe weather associated with the storm, the CDT has determined that as of 6:30 p.m. Monday, the threat is not severe enough to close the school. All classes and events are going ahead as planned.

The university will be updating its storm website (www.miami.edu/prepare) and its Hurricane Hotline (305-284-5151) throughout the storm.

To follow the storm and what decisions the school will make, stay with TheMiamiHurricane.com or visit Storm Tracker at blogs.themiamihurricane.com.

Matthew Bunch

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...